How Do You Calculate the Total Charge in a Solenoid with Time-varying EMF?

  • Thread starter Thread starter latitude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Inductor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
latitude
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A selfinduced emf in a solenoid of inductance L changes in time as E = E.e^-kt. Find the total charge that passes through the solenoid, assuming the charge is finite.



Homework Equations


E = LdI/dt
U = 1/2LI^2
I = dQ/dt


The Attempt at a Solution


I'm pretty stumped by this one, honestly. I thought I might have to use I(t) = E/R(1 - e^-Rt/L) somehow. I don't really understand how the emf is changing in time?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
latitude said:

Homework Statement



A selfinduced emf in a solenoid of inductance L changes in time as E = E.e^-kt. Find the total charge that passes through the solenoid, assuming the charge is finite.



The Attempt at a Solution


I'm pretty stumped by this one, honestly. I thought I might have to use I(t) = E/R(1 - e^-Rt/L) somehow. I don't really understand how the emf is changing in time?

Well I am not sure if the Es in E=E.e-kt are the same but you can do this

L(dI/dt)=Ee-kt and then do something similar with dQ/dt