1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Emf in an Inductor in an LRC circuit

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the circuit shown in the figure, the switch S is closed at time t=0 with no initial charge on the capacitor. What is the induced emf if the inductor at time t=0?

2. Relevant equations
    ε=-LdI/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    Initially the inductor acts like a broken wire in that no current can go through it so the potential difference across the 100 Ω resistor is 0. The capacitor initially has 0 resistance, so all the current will flow through there and the voltage across the 50Ω resistor in parallel with the capacitor (V4) will also be zero. So a time t=0 it acts like a simple circuit with resistance 50 Ω and εbattery 40 V. I am unsure if there would also be a potential difference across the inductor due to an induced emf. I don't really know how to find the current as a function of time for this combination circuit so I'm not sure if dI/dt would then be zero, making the induced emf zero. Any help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2014 #2
    dI/dt does not equal zero in the inductor. Although at time t=0 there is no current in the inducter, at some future time there will be a current in the inductor.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. Apr 19, 2014 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To expand on this, what is the rate of change of the voltage across the capacitor immediately after the switch is closed?

5. Apr 20, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The rate of change of voltage on, and current thru, the capacitor is irrelevant.
    What is the initial voltage across the capacitor? Ergo, across the L-R arm? Ergo, across L?

6. Apr 20, 2014 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

rude man is correct.

I must have had some brain flatulence .

7. Apr 21, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's funny, Sammy!
    Anyway, welcome to the club ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted