How Do You Derive Euler's Equation of Motion for a Rigid Body?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
30 replies · 5K views
CAF123 said:
Does this mean that relative to any other frame, ##T' = \frac{1}{2}(I_1'w_1'^2 + I_2'w_2'^2 + I_3'w_3'^2)##
No. The generic formula is ##T = \frac 1 2 \vec L \cdot \vec \omega = \frac 1 2 (I\vec \omega)\cdot \vec \omega##. This reduces to your simpler form only in the special case where the inertia tensor is diagonal.
One grad student I was talking to said that the topic of rigid body motion was overall more difficult to comprehend than some of the research he was working on. I guess that is not very encouraging, but it puts your point into perspective.
One reason it's confusing is because rotations in three dimensional space don't commute. I didn't attain a true understanding of rigid body motion until I learned about Lie groups.