How Do You Derive the Equation of Motion for an Inverted Pendulum with Springs?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 2slowtogofast
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pendulum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
2slowtogofast
Messages
134
Reaction score
1
Can someone explain how they got the term with the red box
I understand the kl/2 but not the sin and cos part

**Question** Consider the inverted pedulum connected to two equal springs both with constant k. Springs are undelfected when the mass is in the vertical position. If the rod is of length l and the spring are connected at l/2 find the equation of motion.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4896/24111q.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
2slowtogofast said:
Can someone explain how they got the term with the red box
I understand the kl/2 but not the sin and cos part
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4896/24111q.jpg

If that picture represents the total problem as presented, then there is no solution, as no question is asked?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I was on my phone and forgot the question I edited my orginal post