1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you devrive equations in kinematics

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    Okay, I really need to know exactly how to derive these formulas

(delta)x = (average)v*t

(average)v = v(subscript)f + v(subscript)i/2

a = v(subscript) - v(subscript)i/t

My physics teacher says you can use these 3 formulas to answer any one dimension kinematics problem if the acceleration is constant. Now how do I derive these to get the formula. Please help I am very desperate and I need to know soon.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well distance=speed*time and acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity per unit time or (change in velocity)/time

4. Aug 27, 2009 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These formulae are only valid if you have constant acceleration. You can derive these without calculus (well, you are using calculus but it is simple geometry) by plotting a speed vs. time diagram of an object moving with constant acceleration.

What does the area under the graph represent? (hint: area = height x width; height = v and width = [itex]\Delta t[/itex]). How does the area relate to the maximum and minimum speeds? (think area of a triangle).

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook