1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you differentiate implicitly with three variables (x,y,a)?

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of the tangent line to the following curve at the indicated point:
    x^(2/3) + y^(2/3) = a^(2/3) at (a, 0)

2. Relevant equations

Power rule
    Chain rule

3. The attempt at a solution

(2/3)x^(-1/3) + [(2/3)y^(-1/3)](dy/dx) = [(2/3)a^(-1/3)](da/dx)

Okay, from here I am stuck. I have no problem doing implicit differentiation when the only variables are x and y, but I have no idea what to do with that da/dx. The problem didn't tell me to treat a as a constant, so I assume I have to treat it as a variable (and when I tried treating it as a constant, I ended up solving for dy/dx and got 0 on the bottom, so it won't work anyways). I'm also a little confused about finding the derivative at (a, 0)... if a is not supposed to be a constant, how does this work?

Basically, how do I find the derivative here when I have da/dx to worry about as well as dy/dx? Scratching my head. I don't even know where to begin.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a is obviously a constant, so da/dx = 0. Check your arithmetic; I think you will get 0 in the numerator, not the denominator if you express the answer with positive exponents.

But there is a catch to this problem. Plot the graph using, for example, a = 1.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    Thank you so much, LCKurtz! My problem was that I didn't express the derivative with positive exponents. I have the right answer now. Thanks!!!!! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook