1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help me finding this centroid of a graph. Thank you.

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no effort shown
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the x-coordinate of the centroid of the region bounded by the graphs of
    2. Relevant equations
    y= 5/(√(25-x2))
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I stuck at finding Mx

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please post some attempt.
    What you quote as a 'relevant equation' is part of the problem statement. A relevant equation here would be a general equation for finding a centroid.

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3
    Here is what I got so far.
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Hm-tHWU3uR5FHIcZIqSHVDGDjaKA1lA68L2m_DgLeU7LMUmwV2qcVIQr8_kEQ_AjkFJ5PjlGz8=w1256-h843

5. Mar 10, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the OP you did not state the other boundaries, so I assume they are indeed x=0, y=0 and x=5.
    You are only asked for the x coordinate. You found this, but called it MY.

6. Mar 10, 2015 #5
    Thank you so much. How blind I am!

7. Mar 10, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Mar 10, 2015 #7
    That's My (not my in English). I already calculated, so don't bother about it. Thank you for trying to help. By the way, do you know where I can post quick questions? I have an integral that I can't figure out, but I don't want to make a new thread about it. Thank you.

9. Mar 10, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the record, what you wrote for My (by which you meant Mx) is NOT CORRECT. Mx = a ratio of two quantities, and what you called My is the numerator of the ratio, not the actual ratio itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted