1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the diameter of a wire

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a question where I'm given the voltage, mass, resistivity, and density of a wire and I need to find the diameter and the length. Can someone show me how to do both of these?

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea what equation would relate voltage, mass, resistivity, and density to the diameter and length.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
    Heres a hint. R=pL/A (p is rho). Find another equation to this and solve for the radius in A and times that by 2 which will give you your diameter

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    The actual question is:
    A 17.00 Ω resistor is made from a coil of copper wire whose total mass is 37.0 g. The resistivity of Cu is 1.68×10-8 Ω · m and its mass density is 8.90×103 kg/m3. What is the diameter of the wire?

So would I use Ohm's law V=IR to find I?

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4
    Im not totally sure but, you are given the mass density (kg/m^3). If you can find a way to get a length out of that (meters), you can use the formula I gave you and solve for A.
    A=4∏r^2, then solve for r and times that by 2

6. Feb 8, 2012 #5
    How should I get a length out of the density?

7. Feb 8, 2012 #6
    Try 1 m^4/ mass (kg) units will cancel out leaving you with m

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook