How do you find the displaced amplitude of sound?

In summary, the problem involves finding the displaced amplitude of a loudspeaker vibrating at 2kHz with a pressure of 55.1N/m2. The dimensions of the loudspeaker are not necessary for the solution. Using the given air density and speed of sound, the wavelength is found to be 0.17m. The amplitude can then be calculated using the formula amplitude = wavelength/4.
keighley

Homework Statement

A loudspeaker of 30cm diameter vibrates at 2kHz. Given that the pressure generated is 55.1N/m2, determine the displaced amplitude.
Assume air density is 1.59kg/m3 and that the speed of sound is 340m/s.

I have been told that the dimensions given for the loadspeaker is a red herring and not needed in the solution of hte question.

How do you find the displaced amplitude of sound?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v = Velocity = 340m/s
f = Frequency = 2kHz = 2000Hz
 = Wavelength =

Wavelength  = 0.17m (170cm)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

I don't know the answer myself, but is there nothing in your textbook or class notes relating the amplitude of vibration for sound waves?

p.s. some characters you are typing are not showing up properly, for example in "xxx = Wavelength =", the "xxx" (whatever that is) does not show up.

Yes I saw the missing characters after I posted it.

I worked it out after I posted the message.

I have the answer at work so I will post it and how I got it later.

1. How is the displaced amplitude of sound measured?

The displaced amplitude of sound can be measured by using a microphone or other sound measuring device to capture the sound wave. The amplitude is then determined by measuring the vertical distance between the highest and lowest points of the wave.

2. What units are used to measure the displaced amplitude of sound?

The amplitude of sound is typically measured in decibels (dB). This unit is used to represent the intensity or loudness of the sound wave.

3. How does the displaced amplitude of sound affect the volume of a sound?

The displaced amplitude of sound is directly related to the volume or loudness of a sound. The higher the amplitude, the louder the sound will be. This is because a larger amplitude indicates a greater amount of energy in the sound wave.

4. What factors can affect the displaced amplitude of sound?

The displaced amplitude of sound can be affected by various factors such as the distance from the sound source, the type of material the sound is traveling through, and any obstructions in the sound path. Additionally, the frequency and intensity of the sound can also impact the displaced amplitude.

5. Can the displaced amplitude of sound be changed?

Yes, the displaced amplitude of sound can be changed by altering the intensity or frequency of the sound wave. For example, increasing the volume of a sound will result in a higher amplitude, while decreasing the volume will result in a lower amplitude. Additionally, different materials and obstructions can also impact the displaced amplitude of sound.