How do you find the displaced amplitude of sound?

  • Thread starter Thread starter keighley
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Amplitude Sound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
keighley
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A loudspeaker of 30cm diameter vibrates at 2kHz. Given that the pressure generated is 55.1N/m2, determine the displaced amplitude.
Assume air density is 1.59kg/m3 and that the speed of sound is 340m/s.

I have been told that the dimensions given for the loadspeaker is a red herring and not needed in the solution of hte question.

How do you find the displaced amplitude of sound?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



v = Velocity = 340m/s
f = Frequency = 2kHz = 2000Hz
 = Wavelength =




Wavelength  = 0.17m (170cm)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

I don't know the answer myself, but is there nothing in your textbook or class notes relating the amplitude of vibration for sound waves?

p.s. some characters you are typing are not showing up properly, for example in "xxx = Wavelength =", the "xxx" (whatever that is) does not show up.
 
Yes I saw the missing characters after I posted it.

I worked it out after I posted the message.

I have the answer at work so I will post it and how I got it later.