How do you find the limit of this?

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus problem that involves finding a common denominator and using L'Hopital's method. The person seeking help also receives hints on a special limit and the properties of limits that can be applied to the problem. It is mentioned that this type of problem should be posted in the appropriate section for homework and coursework.
cgug123
Hi!
First time poster, I'm about to enter first year calc and thought that I could get ahead of the curve by checking out some questions beforehand. This showed up on one of the university calculus exams but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I tried to finding a common denominator but then was unable to see how to go from there. Attempted l'hopitals way and was once again confounded by how to proceed. Would appreciate hints.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 10.26.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 10.26.09 AM.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
cgug123 said:
Hi!
First time poster, I'm about to enter first year calc and thought that I could get ahead of the curve by checking out some questions beforehand. This showed up on one of the university calculus exams but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I tried to finding a common denominator but then was unable to see how to go from there. Attempted l'hopitals way and was once again confounded by how to proceed. Would appreciate hints.

There's a special limit that you need to know to be able to do problems like this: ##\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\sin(x)} x = 1##. You also need to know some of the properties of limits, such as ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) - g(x) = \lim_{x \to a} f(x) - \lim_{x \to a} g(x)##, provided that all of the limits actually exist.

The limit of your problem can be split into two limits, and some algebra manipulation can be performed to get into the form I mentioned first.

Be advised that this is a homework or coursework-type problem, so should be posted in the Homework & Coursework sections, not here in the technical math sections.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in mathematics that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a given point.

2. How do you determine the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you need to evaluate the function at values that are very close to the given point. This can be done by plugging in values that are slightly larger and smaller than the given point and observing the resulting outputs. As these values get closer and closer to the given point, the limit of the function can be approximated.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches a given point from one side, either from the left or from the right. A two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of the function from both sides of the given point. Generally, a function will have the same limit from both sides, but there are some cases where the two-sided limit does not exist.

4. How do you know if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the values of the function approach a single finite number as the input gets closer and closer to the given point. This can be determined by evaluating the function at values that are very close to the given point and observing if they are approaching a specific value or if they are becoming increasingly larger or smaller with no clear pattern.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating limits?

Some common techniques for evaluating limits include direct substitution, factoring, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, and using trigonometric identities. Additionally, L'Hôpital's rule, which involves taking the derivative of both the numerator and denominator, can be used to evaluate certain types of limits.