Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find the moment of inertia of a polygon?

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    I'm working on an engine right now, and I'm having trouble calculating the moment of inertia for a polygon. Is there any way to easily do this without decomposing the polygon into triangles?

edit: I've looked at the wikipedia page with examples on the subject (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia) and I'm having trouble understanding the last example, which seems to be what I need.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That last example is, indeed, the moment of inertia formula for the polygon, and is the final result of having decomposed the polygon into triangles.

I derived it once for myself, I'm sorry that I'm not inm the mood to do it once again.

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    Any particular reason your polygons are not triangles in the first place? Polygons of 4 or more sides complicates everything.

4 or more sides means your polygon does not need to have all vertexes on the same plane, which complicates shading.

Building a BSP-tree gets more complicated the more sides your polygons have (you will end up splitting a whole lot).

and so on.

k

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but I'm doing everything on a 2D plane. I'm not sure what you mean by stating that the vertexes won't be on the same plane, but I think you may be confusing 3D graphics with my problem (shading?). In addition, finding a way to solve this problem for convex polygons will achieve what I'm going for, which is why I'm avoiding BSP-trees or any other kind of decomposition of the polygon.

6. Mar 31, 2009 #5
    Yep, I was thinking 3D, sorry.

k

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook