How do you find total energy received by an EM wave over time?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wrkinhard
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Waves
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
wrkinhard
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
How do you find the total energy received by an EM wave in a period of time? I tried U=c * Area * time *power..but this doesn't seem to be right...any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by an EM wave receiving energy but I assume you mean "flow of EM energy" or something to that effect. I hope I'm Poynting you in the right direction. :)
 
Tide is right, the Poynting vector will tell you the magnitude and direction of power flow along the wave.

If you are not particularly fussed on the direction of power flow, then there is a simple scalar formulation as well;

E = Intensity x Area x Time

I'll leave it up to you to find out how to calculate the intensity.

Claude.