1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you integrate (x)/(x-1)

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do you integrate S x/(x-1) dx

2. Relevant equations

IBP

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using Integration by Parts with u= x/(x-1) and dv = dx and that did not work out. Then I tried using u= 1/(x-1) and dv = xdx but that did not work either.

A google search said "Just use the substitution u = x+1, then replace dx with du and you get u+1/u = 1 + 1/u which you can integrate to give u + ln u, thus = x-1 + ln(x-1)". But I am pretty sure that you can't just add +1 to the numerator like that.

I also know that it can be done using tables but is there a way not to use tables? Did I do my integration wrong?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You don't add +1 to the numerator. We do the substitution u=x-1. What happens if you do that substitution??

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    Hint Hint:
    [itex]\frac{1}{x-1}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{x-1}{x-1}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{x}{x-1}[/itex]

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4
    You can even do it without substitution by changing the equation to (x)/(x-1) = (x-1+1)/(x-1) = 1+1/(x-1), then integrating to get x+ln(x-1)+C.

Wow! All 3 posts within a minute!

6. Aug 29, 2011 #5
    Perhaps this will make it clearer,

Suppose [itex]u=x-1[/itex]. Then clearly [itex]du=dx[/itex]. But notice also that [itex]u+1=x[/itex] by the first equation. Therefore, the integral becomes,

[itex]\int \frac{u+1}{u}du[/itex]

Now, it is trivial. :)

7. Aug 29, 2011 #6
    We're all just so stoked about integration, we can't resist. If only all students shared our passion for integration.... ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook