1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you obtain electrons and know their average velocity?

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    How do you obtain electrons and know their average velocity??

Hello guys! I am currently trying to experiment with charge accelerators. I soon tripped inside a really big hole. I soon realized that I didn't know how to measure the amount of charge(in coulombs) a charged conductor has. So instead of using charged objects, I decided to use electrons. How would I go about obtaining electrons? Most importantly, how could I measure the average velocity of a beam of the electrons I obtained (if I am able to obtain them).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I am quite sure that there is a deeper problem in the whole setup...
    To get the electron velocity, you can shoot them into a magnetic or electric field and measure the curvature/deflection. Alternatively, keep track of the accelerating voltage, and calculate the velocity based on that.

4. Mar 12, 2013 #3
    Hi guys! Yes, I thought about that last night. I decided to use a velocity selector and a hot cathode electron emitter with a low work function. The velocity selector will only allow the electrons with the desired velocity pass through the magnetic and electric fields. Provided that I apply enough energy to the hot cathode. Thanks!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook