How Do You Prove the Sum of This Complex Series Equals One?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oggy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Oggy
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Let [tex]A_i = \frac{1}{n}\cdot \frac{(-1)^{n-i}}{i!\cdot(n-i)!} \int_{0}^{n} \frac{t(t-1)...(t-n)}{t-i}dt[/tex]

I need to prove

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n} A_i = 1[/tex].

I tried tinkering with the equation but I'm really at a loss what to do with the integral. I'd appreciate any help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Error?

Hi! Is there an error somewhere?

I tried evaluating [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{1} A_i[/tex] but my answer was 0, and not 1. Perhaps you can re-check the question?

All the best!
 
Thanks for the correction, but I still can't obtain the correct answer for [tex]\sum_{i=0}^{1} A_i[/tex]. Puzzling...
 
In the sum i goes from 0 to n. And it's (-1)^(n-i). Sorry for the mistakes.
 
Last edited:
Well, the Binomial Series is probably involved... seeing the factorials and the term [tex](-1)^{n-i}[/tex], but apart from that, I am not very sure how to proceed...