1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you solve limits with f notations in them?

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem 1:
    ##f'(1) = -2##
    Solve:
    $$\lim_{x\to0} \frac{f(e^{5x} - x^2) - f(1)}{x}$$

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so these type of problems really get to me. I'm going to assume some level of substitution are needed but I'm really unsure.

I'm guessing that I can do something like ## u = e^5x - x^2##(or maybe i have to do something like## h(x) = f(e^{5x} - x^2)##.

But what would I do from there? Would f(1) be equal to h(1)? Do I just use l'hopitals if this is on the right path? Is there a standard procedure to follow when dealing with limits that have function notations in them?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Is this all the information you got? How would you apply Hopital when you don't know that the numerator goes to zero?

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that supposed to be ##e^{5x}##?

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure it isn't ##f(e^{5x} - x^2)##?

6. Dec 6, 2016 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That limit looks to me suspiciously similar to a derivative. If you use ## u = e^{5x} - x^2##, you'd have f(u)-f(1) in the numerator. What would you need in the denominator to get the derivative f'(1)?

7. Dec 6, 2016 #6
    Yeah this is all the information I have. I forgot that L'hopitals can only be used if indeterminate form is found.
    Yeah you're right. Sorry about that i'll edit it
    Are you saying that x should be equal to f'(1)?

8. Dec 6, 2016 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No. I'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.

9. Dec 6, 2016 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You should be able to show that the limit of the numerator is zero and this will justify using l'hospitals rule. . ( i.e. show ##lim_{x \rightarrow 0} {f(e^{5x} - x^2) - f(1)} = f(1)-f(1) = 0## ) To show that, you need to use the fact that if f'(x) exists at x = a then f is continuous at x = a and also you need a result that tells about the limit of a composition of two functions. There is probably a theorem in your text materials that tells some conditions which imply that ##lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(g(x)) = f(g(a))##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted