How Do You Solve the Integral of (sin 37x / sin x) from 0 to π?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jd12345
Messages
251
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Find the value of ∫ ( sin 37x / sin x )dx - from 0 to π


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Well i tried doing it by parts but it makes its more complicated. I tried to expand sin 37x as sin(36+1)x but could not solve it. I am lost
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jd12345 said:

Homework Statement


Find the value of ∫ ( sin 37x / sin x )dx - from 0 to π


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Well i tried doing it by parts but it makes its more complicated. I tried to expand sin 37x as sin(36+1)x but could not solve it. I am lost

[tex]\sin(nx) = \frac{1}{2i} ( X^n - Y^n), \text{ where } X = e^{ix}, \: Y = 1/X.[/tex]
Thus, [itex]\sin(nx) = \sin(x) [X^{n-1} + X^{n-2}Y + \cdots + Y^{n-1}],[/itex] so
[tex]\sin(nx)/\sin(x) = X^{n-1} + X^{n-2}Y + \cdots + Y^{n-1}.[/tex]

RGV