How do you tell the moving direction of a wave?

In summary, the expression e^{ikx} represents a 1D plane wave moving to the right, while e^{-ikx} represents a wave moving to the left. However, without any time dependence, it is not possible to determine the direction of propagation. In some cases, it is assumed that the time dependence is e^{-i\omega t}, which allows for the complete wave function to specify the direction of propagation.
KFC
For a 1D plane wave written mathematically as

[tex]\exp(i k x)[/tex]

where i is sqrt(-1). k is the wavenumber. In many textbook, it reads this wave is moving to the right while [tex]\exp(-i k x)[/tex] is moving to the left. It is quite confusing. How do you tell that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those expressions specify only the spatial part of the wave function. They don't contain any time dependence so you can't say anything about the direction of propagation without making further assumptions.

jtbell said:
Those expressions specify only the spatial part of the wave function. They don't contain any time dependence so you can't say anything about the direction of propagation without making further assumptions.

Thanks for reply. But why in the textbook, in the chapter about scattering, it keeps saying [tex]e^{ikz}[/tex] is the incoming wave propagate along positive z direction.

Which course is this, by the way? You mention scattering, so is this a quantum mechanics course?

In that case, they are probably assuming that the time dependence is [itex]e^{- i \omega t} = e^{- i E t / \hbar}[/itex]. In that case the complete wave functions are

[tex]e^{i(kx - \omega t)} = \exp \left[ ik \left( x - \frac{\omega}{k} t \right) \right]
= \exp \left[ ik \left( x - v t \right) \right] [/tex]

[tex]e^{i(-kx - \omega t)} = \exp \left[ -ik \left( x + \frac{\omega}{k} t \right) \right]
= \exp \left[ -ik \left( x + v t \right) \right] [/tex]

In general, a function of the form f(x-vt) represents a wave traveling in the +x direction, and f(x+vt) represents a wave traveling in the -x direction. These are the most general solutions to the differential wave equation in one dimension.

1. How do waves move?

Waves move by transferring energy from one point to another without transferring matter. This means that particles in a wave move up and down or back and forth, but they do not actually move from one location to another.

2. How can you tell the direction of a wave?

The direction of a wave can be determined by looking at the direction in which the particles in the wave are moving. For example, if the particles are moving up and down, the wave is moving vertically. If the particles are moving back and forth, the wave is moving horizontally.

3. What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse waves?

Longitudinal waves have particles that move in the same direction as the wave is traveling, while transverse waves have particles that move perpendicular to the direction of the wave. This means that longitudinal waves compress and expand, while transverse waves move up and down.

4. How do you measure the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is measured as the number of complete cycles or oscillations that occur in a certain amount of time. It is usually measured in Hertz (Hz), which is equal to one cycle per second.

5. Can you determine the speed of a wave by its direction?

No, the direction of a wave does not determine its speed. The speed of a wave is determined by the medium through which it is traveling and the properties of that medium, such as density and elasticity.