Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you want your coffee?

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    I think we got a lot of serious coffee-drinkers here, so I´d like to know.. http://forum2.mobile-review.com/images/smilies/smile.gif [Broken]
    for me, strong (!! http://forum2.mobile-review.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif [Broken])[/URL] and some milk in it - I´m happy..! Just got http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d140638&ru=28100925 [Broken] with a stainless steel travel mug, only $3 bucks. It tastes delicious!
    How about you?
    cheers! http://forum2.mobile-review.com/images/smilies/beer.gif [Broken]

http://www.biojobblog.com/coffee_roaster(1).jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2
    cream and 6 sugars (sometimes with a shot of espresso too)....no kidding, I like it sweet.

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    Milk and sugar, I blasphemy like that.

5. Mar 24, 2010 #4
    Black only. And it has to be from a french press and from freshly ground beans. The oils from the beans are essential for the flavor which is why it has to be from a french press.

I'm more of a tea drinker though.....

6. Mar 24, 2010 #5
    I will give you cool points if you keep this up.

7. Mar 24, 2010 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two sugars, hold the coffee

8. Mar 24, 2010 #7
    Depends on the coffee really. Normally from Tim Hortons I'd get a double double... or a 'cafe mocha'. Other times I just drink it black if it tastes good enough,lol.

I'd rather drink a tea over a coffee though... any day.

9. Mar 24, 2010 #8
    Okay, your Canadian is really showing, there. :biggrin:

I buy fresh dark roast beans, a pound at a time, and only grind enough to make a small pot of coffee immediately before brewing. I add a small shot of half and half cream to the cup. No one else makes coffee as good as mine. No one.

Afternoons, it's fresh green tea all the way.

10. Mar 24, 2010 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the mildness of a light Kona - fresh ground is preferred as well. I've had mine the same way since I was 10 - cream and sugar.

11. Mar 24, 2010 #10
    The best coffee of all is when you remove the coffee and replace it with tea.:wink:

12. Mar 24, 2010 #11
    I prefer it in a plain, glazed, ceramic cup with a handle. It's maybe not the best insulator, but it gives the perfect combination of heat/cold sensitivity through the material so I can always be sure of the temperature of my coffee, which is nice.

13. Mar 24, 2010 #12

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Our lab got rather domestic, so we got ourselves a nice coffee brewer along with a little water cooler (and attendant bottled water: our building has tap water that's super hard, often coloured, and smells/tastes metallic). We generally go for the flavoured coffee (caramel, butterscotch, Grogg, etc.) pre-ground from one of the fancier (but not Starbucks or Second Cup fancy and expensive) coffee houses on campus, and then brew it (ratio-wise) the same way they brewed it: not too strong, not too weak.

I personally like my coffee like I like life: dark, bleak and bitter.

On that note, have a nice day!

EDIT: Lately, I've been liking my coffee with a Roll-up-able Rim. You may need to be Canadian to get it (and probably need to be Canadian to win!)
    http://rolluptherimtowin.com/

14. Mar 24, 2010 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A non-paper filter also works to this end: mine is the Melita gold filter. Everything else is crap.

Ditto on the freshly ground beans, but the French press doesn't work for me as I need to preset the automatic coffee maker to have the pot brewed when I wake up.

Oh, and a teaspoon of brown-sugar (that "sugar in the raw" , or Turbinado, that's the best) and a smallish amount of whole milk.) The coffee itself must be strong, strong, strong. I cut my teeth at "The Coffee People" in Portland.

15. Mar 24, 2010 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could say, "I like my coffee the way I like my Swedish movies."

16. Mar 24, 2010 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I grind up mine immediately before brewing and drink it black.

17. Mar 24, 2010 #16
    Yes to the gold permanent filter.

I've never known so many people who grind their own beans. Surely a group with good taste.

18. Mar 24, 2010 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like my coffee *strong* with milk or half-and-half. Or half milk, half half-and-half...does that make it a-quarter-and-three-quarters?

I like the flavor of coffee made in a French press - with freshly ground beans, of course :smile: - but I gave up using one because of the mess of cleaning it. I would knock most of the grounds into the trash but a lot would remain, and I could get them out only by rinsing. After a while that's a lot of grounds going into the drain, where they cause trouble. Any hints?

19. Mar 24, 2010 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do know that people in an office usually prefer that you rinse the coffee pot out before you fill it with water for the next brew and that you use cold water - especially if you fill it from the bathroom sinks. It looks a little unappealing when you walk out of the restroom with a pot of warm, yellow water for the coffee.

20. Mar 24, 2010 #19
    A good shot of espresso is just wonderful. Preferably made with freshly ground beans of course, but I don't have a grinder at the moment.

21. Mar 24, 2010 #20
    Strong, and black. Usually when I drink coffee it is because I need a bit of a pickup or am tired that day and I want to get that as quickly as possible. As a casual drink, I am more of a tea guy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook