How does a virtual private network work (basics)

In summary, a VPN (virtual private network) such as Hotspot Shield is a tool that secures your internet connection and protects your online privacy when using public WiFi networks. It creates an encrypted tunnel for your data to pass through, making it difficult for hackers to intercept and access your information. When connected to a public WiFi network, Hotspot Shield may appear as an additional "unknown network" in your taskbar, but this is a normal function of the VPN. It is recommended to use a VPN when connecting to public WiFi networks to ensure your online security. TOR is another tool that can be used for similar purposes.
tomisatschool
is there anyway someone could explain basically how a vpn works (specifically "HotSpot Shield)? I am asking because i can't figured out if I am getting hacked or if the network is supposed to do this?

Whenever I connect to a wireless network, hotspot shield secures the connection and then i see another "unknown network" connection in my taskbar (windows 7) next to my regular connection. Is it supposed to do that??

At first I thought I was getting hacked (am i?) but then i noticed that this unknown network appears right after hotspotshield secures my wireless connection. Is this working correctly or is something suspicious going on??

Please explain in simple simple terms because I am not an advanced IT guy... I downloaded this hotspot shield because i was told i should always use a vpn when connecting to hotspots (which i use alot)

thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you mean you go to a place that offers WiFi?

yeah exactly, like a starbucks or whatever

This video is what introduced me to Hotspot Shield, it may explain a few things for you.

:-)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is also a browser called TOR that may also come in use if your afraid of others viewing your internet traffic or "hacking"

1. What is a virtual private network (VPN)?

A virtual private network (VPN) is a secure and private network connection that allows users to access the internet securely and privately. It creates a tunnel between the user's device and the VPN server, encrypting all the data that passes through it.

2. How does a VPN work?

A VPN works by establishing a secure and encrypted connection between the user's device and the VPN server. When the user connects to a VPN, their data is sent to the VPN server, which then forwards it to the internet. This process ensures that all the data transmitted between the user's device and the internet is encrypted and secure.

3. What are the benefits of using a VPN?

Using a VPN has several benefits, such as enhancing online security and privacy, bypassing geographical restrictions, and protecting sensitive data from being intercepted. It also allows users to access websites and services that may be restricted in their location or workplace.

4. How do I set up a VPN?

To set up a VPN, you will need to choose a VPN service provider and subscribe to their service. Most providers offer step-by-step instructions on how to configure their VPN on different devices. Once you have subscribed and configured the VPN, you can connect to it and start using it.

5. Are there any downsides to using a VPN?

While using a VPN has many benefits, there are also some downsides to consider. VPNs can sometimes slow down internet speed due to the encryption process and the distance between the user and the VPN server. Additionally, some websites and services may block VPN connections, making it difficult to access them while using a VPN.