How does Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering differ?

In summary, the individual is struggling to choose between Optics, Materials Science, and Physics and is considering majoring in either EE or Physics with electives from the other department. They do not want to double major. They are also wondering about the connections between Condensed Matter Physics and EE.
MathGangsta
I'm torn between several areas: Optics, Materials Science, and Physics. Academically does Applied Physics and EE differ at all in the interests I have?

I need to talk to an adviser but I'm thinking of majoring in EE or Physics then taking every elective I can from the other department. I refuse to double major.

Also, does Condensed Matter physics have any connections with EE?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
MathGangsta said:
I'm torn between several areas: Optics, Materials Science, and Physics. Academically does Applied Physics and EE differ at all in the interests I have?

Yes, quite significantly.

Also, does Condensed Matter physics have any connections with EE?

Some subsets of EE do, but generally not much overlap between those two.

What is Applied Physics?

Applied Physics is the study of physical principles and laws and their practical applications. It involves the use of mathematical models and experiments to understand and solve real-world problems.

What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is the study of the design, development, and application of electrical systems and their components. It involves the use of principles from physics and mathematics to create devices and systems that use electricity.

What is the main difference between Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering?

The main difference between Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering is their focus. Applied Physics emphasizes the understanding of physical phenomena and their practical applications, while Electrical Engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems and their components.

What types of problems do Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering solve?

Applied Physics and Electrical Engineering both solve real-world problems, but with different approaches. Applied Physics focuses on understanding and explaining natural phenomena, while Electrical Engineering uses this understanding to design and develop practical solutions for specific problems.

Can someone with a degree in Applied Physics work as an Electrical Engineer?

Although the two fields are closely related, someone with a degree in Applied Physics may not have the necessary skills and knowledge to work as an Electrical Engineer. However, with additional education and training, it is possible for someone with a degree in Applied Physics to transition into a career in Electrical Engineering.