How does divergence calculate all of flow through a surface?

In summary: But as you move further into the fluid... the rate of change of the fluid is the same everywhere. This is another way to think about divergence.
yosimba2000
I'd like to use 2-d for simplification.

Divergence is the rate of change of a component of a field F as you travel along that component's direction.

So Fx represents the part of F flowing the X direction and same with Fy along the Y direction, and so divergence is calculated by dFx/dx + dFy/dy.

But isn't it possible that flow of Fx, or flow of F in the X direction, changes not as a function of X, but as a function of Y?

So as you travel along the X axis at a constant Y, the change of Fx is 0. And likewise with Fy: it's possible that the flow of Fy changes as a function of the X direction and so the change of Fy along the Y axis is 0.

Given this, we get that total divergence is dFx/dx + dFy/dy = 0 + 0 = 0, meaning there is no flow out of the surface.

But it seems to me that there must be some flow out of the surface, it's just that the rate changes as you move about a different axis.

So shouldn't divergence actually be adding up how Fx changes as you move along both the X and Y axis, and how Fy changes as you move along X and Y axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi yo,
yosimba2000 said:
Divergence is the rate of change of a component of a field F as you travel along that component's direction
Is it ? Wasn't it defined differently -- as you use later on: as a sum of 'rates of change' ?
yosimba2000 said:
So Fx represents the part of F flowing the X direction and same with Fy along the Y direction, and so divergence is calculated by dFx/dx + dFy/dy
yosimba2000 said:
But isn't it possible that flow of Fx, or flow of F in the X direction, changes not as a function of X, but as a function of Y?
Sure, why not ? Simple example: ##\vec F = (y,x)##.
yosimba2000 said:
So as you travel along the X axis at a constant Y, the change of Fx is 0. And likewise with Fy: it's possible that the flow of Fy changes as a function of the X direction and so the change of Fy along the Y axis is 0.
Yep.
yosimba2000 said:
Given this, we get that total divergence is dFx/dx + dFy/dy = 0 + 0 = 0
Yep
yosimba2000 said:
meaning there is no flow out of the surface.
What surface was that ?

To the OP: From what I can tell, you are mixing two quantities, the current density ## \vec{J} ## and the divergence of ## \vec{J} ##, which is ## \nabla \cdot \vec{J} ##. ## \\ ## If ## \nabla \cdot \vec{J} =0 ##, it doesn't mean that there isn't any flow. Instead it means there is no buildup of whatever is flowing. By the continuity equation ## \nabla \cdot \vec{J}+\frac{\partial{ \rho}}{\partial{t}}=0 ##, so that if ## \nabla \cdot \vec{J}=0 ## that means that the density ## \rho ## is constant (doesn't change with time) at a given position, so that ## \frac{\partial{\rho}}{\partial{t}}=0 ##. There can still be a considerable flow as given by the function ## \vec{J} ##. ## \\ ## Editing: You can apply Gauss' law over a volume to get ## \iiint\limits_{V} \nabla \cdot \vec{J} d \tau=\iint\limits_{V} \vec{J} \cdot dS=- \iiint\limits_{V} \frac{\partial{\rho}}{\partial{t}} \, d \tau=-\frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{t}} ## where ## Q ## is the total amount of material in the volume ## V ## that you integrate over and compute the flux. ## \\ ## Alternatively, ## \iint\limits_{A} \vec{J} \cdot \, dS ## over an area ## A ## gives how much material flows through that area. In this second case, a computation of ## \nabla \cdot \vec{J} ## is unnecessary.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
BvU said:
Hi yo,
Is it ? Wasn't it defined differently -- as you use later on: as a sum of 'rates of change' ?

Sure, why not ? Simple example: ##\vec F = (y,x)##.
Yep.
Yep
What surface was that ?

Yeah, sorry, I meant to say divergence is the sum of rates of change. And let's say the surface is a box. Also as Charles said, I should be thinking that divergence is actually gain/loss.

But if given what I said is true... how can the gain/loss be zero in the box? I understand that if we take the divergence formula as a measure of buildup, we will record 0. But it doesn't seem to me that it accurately represents total buildup in the box. I feel that the actual gain/loss is actually nonzero since there is Fx exiting, but it's only visible if you examine change in Y direction.

So I claim 'real divergence' is dFx/dx + dFx/dy + dFy/dx + dFy/dy

Last edited:
It's been awhile since I've done vector Calculus. This is an interesting question. Something to consider would be something like fluid flow in a pipe. At the edge of the pipe, essentially there is no flow. Then as you go away from the edge, the flow increases. But all flow is parallel to the pipe wall, so if you move in the same direction as the pipe there is no change in flow rate, and the flow rate in the direction perpendicular to the pipe wall is zero.

How could this be modeled to show how divergence is calculated to represent total flow rate through a section of pipe?
I just read that some people have given some answers. One thing to note in my pipe example. If you look at a specific volume of pipe, you can agree that there won't be any accumulation in that section if the density is constant (same amount of fluid exits the section as is entering).

So you can see that these mathematical tools can have real-world applications.

yosimba2000 said:
And let's say the surface is a box
For the example I gave a circle is more sensible (at least it's easier). For a box you need to do some work: a useful exercise !

Physically, divergence zero means source-free and from that follows conservation. Let Charles' post #3 sink in a bit.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is divergence?

Divergence is a mathematical concept that measures the flow of a vector field out of a given point. It is a scalar quantity that indicates the amount of flux or flow through a surface at that point.

2. How is divergence calculated?

The formula for calculating divergence is div(F) = ∇ · F, where ∇ is the del operator and F is the vector field. This formula takes into account the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each coordinate axis.

3. What does divergence tell us about a vector field?

Divergence tells us whether a vector field has a source or a sink at a particular point. A positive divergence means that there is a net outflow of the field from that point, while a negative divergence indicates a net inflow. A zero divergence means that there is no net flow at that point.

4. How is divergence used in physics?

In physics, divergence is used to describe the behavior of fluid flow and electric or magnetic fields. It is a fundamental concept in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics. It is also used in equations such as Gauss' law and the continuity equation.

5. Can divergence be negative?

Yes, divergence can be negative. As mentioned earlier, a negative divergence indicates a net inflow of the vector field at a particular point. This can occur, for example, in the case of a sink where the vector field is flowing towards a central point.