How Does Energy Relate to Work in Physics?

In summary: This is the same concept for a conservative field doing work on an object. In summary, when discussing the relationship between energy and work, it is important to remember that energy is the capacity to do work and that this capacity is limited. A decrease in energy results in an equal amount of work being done. Additionally, in the case of a conservative field doing work on an object, the potential energy of the object decreases as the field does work on it, resulting in a reduced capacity for the object to do work.
san203
Gold Member
Hello all.
This is not a "What is Energy" Thread but rather a question about its relation with work.
I understand that energy has been defined as the ability to do work. So why is change in energy is equal to work? Cant energy be equal to work.

Also when the force field is doing work on a object, will the work done on the object by field be equal to the work that the object can do later?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Positive work creates positive potential energy as in pushing a block up an incline.

A block sliding down an incline has positive kinetic energy (negative work).

I think this is why we separate the two terms.

The total internal energy is a state function whereas mechanical work is a process function. Put more loosely, I can easily say that a particle has "this amount of energy for the given state" but it makes no sense to say that a particle has "this amount of work for the given state".

san203 said:
I understand that energy has been defined as the ability to do work. So why is change in energy is equal to work? Cant energy be equal to work.
So remember that energy is the capacity to do work, and that capacity is limited. As you do work you lose the capacity to do more work. So as you do work your energy decreases, and therefore the work is equal to the change in the energy.

san203 said:
Also when the force field is doing work on a object, will the work done on the object by field be equal to the work that the object can do later?
Yes, assuming that the force field is conservative. The work done on the object by the field will increase the KE of the object, which can then be used to do work later.

Likes 1 person
DaleSpam said:
So remember that energy is the capacity to do work, and that capacity is limited. As you do work you lose the capacity to do more work. So as you do work your energy decreases, and therefore the work is equal to the change in the energy.

I see. But i was talking about the work done by the field. why is Work done by field = change in energy of object? same reason i guess? Silly question i know, but it happens when you think about something for too too long:-p

san203 said:
I see. But i was talking about the work done by the field. why is Work done by field = change in energy of object?
A conservative field has an associated potential. So an object being acted on by such a field has potential energy. As the field does work on the object the potential energy of the object is decreased, meaning that the object has a reduced capacity to do work.

For example, a rock under the influence of gravity has potential energy (mgh). At the top of a hill its potential energy is high and it has the capacity to do a lot of work by falling down. At the bottom of the hill the potential energy is low and it has little capacity to do work by falling down. The change in the rock's potential energy is equal to the work done by gravity on the rock.

Related to How Does Energy Relate to Work in Physics?

1. What is the definition of energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It comes in many forms, such as heat, light, electricity, and motion.

2. How is energy related to work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. When work is done on an object, it gains energy. Similarly, when work is done by an object, it loses energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This formula shows that work is directly proportional to the force and the distance.

4. How are units of energy and work related?

The SI unit for both energy and work is the joule (J). This is because both energy and work are measures of the same thing - the ability to do work. Other common units for energy and work include calories, foot-pounds, and kilowatt-hours.

5. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object has due to its position or condition. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Both types of energy are related to work, as work can be done to change the potential energy of an object into kinetic energy, or vice versa.