How does Faraday's motor cause the wire to circularly move?

In summary, the circular motion of a wire in a homopolar motor is caused by the interaction between the circular magnetic field produced by the current in the wire and the magnetic field of a permanent magnet. This is due to the Lorentz force, which results in a sideways force that causes torque. The magnetic field lines in the motor are symmetric around a small permanent magnet attached to the bottom of the battery, which may not be clear in certain diagrams.
Coolamebe
Basically I'm not sure how the interaction between the circular magnetic field produced by the current in the wire and the magnetic field of the permanent magnet interact to cause the wire to move in circular motion. If someone could explain that I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all a function of the Lorentz force, and the fact that the resulting force is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the current/charges. If you look at how the magnetic field lines run when they intersect with the wires, you'll see that the net result is a sideways force that then causes torque.

------------
That said, I just looked at the Wiki page of the homopolar motor, and they have this picture of the magnetic field lines:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Motor_homopolar_flux_force_neutral.png

That picture looks really wrong to me. Why would the field lines not be radially symmetric around the battery? And, why would they "exit" at the bottom like that? The usual magnetic field of a circuit goes through the middle of the circuit, so I would imagine the field of the arrangement in the picture to have two of those.

Last edited:
Likes Coolamebe
rumborak said:
Why would the field lines not be radially symmetric around the battery? And, why would they "exit" at the bottom like that?
There is a small permanent magnet attached to the bottom of the battery. The field lines are symmetric about that permanent magnet.

Likes Coolamebe and rumborak
Aaaaah, that makes sense. They could have made that a bit clearer in the pic I think.

I agree. The magnet looks like part of the battery the way they drew it.

1. What is Faraday's motor and how does it work?

Faraday's motor is an electromagnetic device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by utilizing the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a magnetic field is created by passing an electric current through a wire, and this magnetic field interacts with another wire to create a force that causes circular motion.

2. How does the wire move in a circular motion in Faraday's motor?

The wire is placed in between the poles of a permanent magnet. When an electric current is passed through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the permanent magnet, causing a force that makes the wire move in a circular motion.

3. What is the role of the commutator in Faraday's motor?

The commutator is a crucial component of Faraday's motor as it helps to reverse the direction of the electric current in the wire. This reversal of current ensures that the wire continues to move in a circular motion as it passes through different poles of the permanent magnet.

4. Can Faraday's motor work without a magnet?

No, Faraday's motor requires a magnet to work. The magnetic field produced by the permanent magnet is essential for creating the force that causes the wire to move in a circular motion.

5. How is Faraday's motor different from other types of motors?

Faraday's motor is different from other types of motors because it uses electromagnetic induction to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, whereas other motors may use different mechanisms such as electromagnetism or electromagnetic attraction and repulsion.