How does force transfer through an object microscopically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of touching and how forces are transferred between atoms. The article mentioned explains that this is due to the exchange of virtual photons, but this is a controversial idea in the scientific community. The conversation also brings up the idea of Van der Waals potential energy curves and bulk modulus as ways to describe the interaction between atoms.
Remain
I heard that you can never really touch anything. I also heard from an article that the reason why your butt doesn't fall through your chair is due to forces.

Here is a short excerpt:
"Cracking like lightning through the void, all the specks of electrons and the specks of nuclei are constantly interacting through a force called electromagnetism. Each interaction is carried out through the jolting exchange of particles of pure energy called photons (which is really just a nubbins of light). Each photon swapped equals a little push or a pull — a force — exerted across the emptiness. That's really what's keeping the stuff we call your butt from drifting through the stuff we call your chair."
http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2015/04/07/398008378/why-doesn-t-your-butt-fall-through-the-chair

So when I apply a force to an object, how exactly is the force transferred from my hand to the atoms that make up the object? Like what atomically in my hand carries the energy to be transferred? Is it photons? If so how does it know how much energy to transfer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remain said:
I heard that you can never really touch anything. I also heard from an article that the reason why your butt doesn't fall through your chair is due to forces.

At the atomic level, the interaction of short-range forces between neutral atoms is essentially what "touching" means.

Remain said:
Here is a short excerpt:
"Cracking like lightning through the void, all the specks of electrons and the specks of nuclei are constantly interacting through a force called electromagnetism. Each interaction is carried out through the jolting exchange of particles of pure energy called photons (which is really just a nubbins of light). Each photon swapped equals a little push or a pull — a force — exerted across the emptiness. That's really what's keeping the stuff we call your butt from drifting through the stuff we call your chair."

This is extremely misleading. The photons the article refers to are virtual photons, which are nothing but a particular way of describing the interaction between particles, specifically that it is the result of the exchange of force-carrier particles. But this isn't an exchange like two people throwing a ball back and forth is. Virtual photons are not released by one particle to travel through space to be "caught" by the other. In fact, this "exchange" happens instantly, without the virtual photons even moving between the two particles at all. Sounds crazy, right? This is one reason why many scientists view virtual particles are simply being nothing but an artifact of the math and the particular way in which interactions are modeled.

Remain said:
So when I apply a force to an object, how exactly is the force transferred from my hand to the atoms that make up the object? Like what atomically in my hand carries the energy to be transferred? Is it photons? If so how does it know how much energy to transfer?

As far as I know, that depends entirely on how you model the interaction. Classically, the interaction is a smooth, continuous process without any discrete jumps or jolts. In quantum physics, this mostly remains the same except when emitting and absorbing real photons. Virtual photons still cause smooth, continuous interactions, though they can also lead to other effects that aren't predicted by classical mechanics.

In the end, regardless of how we model it, the result is that forces are transferred between the atoms in your body in some manner. Currently we choose to model this as being the result of an exchange of virtual photons, as it is a convenient way of modeling the interactions since it requires very little change to the way that we model real particles in quantum physics. It is entirely possible that there is another way of describing and modeling this, but it may require a somewhat more complicated description or one that isn't as easily merged with existing quantum physics.

Likes Remain and Dale
Thank you so much sir! :)

In quantum chemistry, they draw these Van der Waals potential energy curves that show how trying to put two atoms too close to each other requires a large amount of energy

AD3-12.gif

In continuum mechanics, which doesn't consider the microscopic nature of matter, quantities such as bulk modulus are used for describing how easy/difficult it is to compress some material to smaller volume.

1. How does force transfer through an object microscopically?

The transfer of force through an object on a microscopic level is governed by the interactions between the atoms and molecules that make up the object. These interactions involve the exchange of energy and momentum, which results in the transmission of force through the object.

2. What role do intermolecular forces play in force transfer?

Intermolecular forces, such as van der Waals forces, hydrogen bonding, and dipole-dipole interactions, play a crucial role in the transfer of force through an object. These forces determine the strength of the bonds between atoms and molecules, which in turn affects how force is transmitted through the object.

3. How do different materials transfer force differently?

The transfer of force through an object depends on its material properties, such as density, elasticity, and strength. For example, a solid material will transfer force differently than a liquid or gas due to differences in their molecular structures and the way they respond to external forces.

4. Can force transfer through an object be affected by external factors?

Yes, force transfer through an object can be affected by external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. These factors can alter the intermolecular forces and molecular structure of the object, leading to changes in how force is transmitted through it.

5. How does the arrangement of atoms and molecules within an object affect force transfer?

The arrangement of atoms and molecules within an object plays a significant role in force transfer. For example, a material with a crystalline structure will transfer force differently than a material with an amorphous structure due to the different orientations and interactions between their molecules.