Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How does KVL work in transformers?

1. Nov 18, 2016 #1
    I have studied ideal transformers (transfer 100% of energy) and that the power loss in the secondary coil is I^2*R..
    Then I asked myself, why can't we use these equivalent formulas for power (IV and V^2/R)??
    I tried to use them but they gave me different values for power loss
    I searched for an answer here and I discovered that the supply voltage is not equal to the drop voltage through the resistance in the secondary coil.
    So IV and V^2/R works when V is the drop voltage..

After that I had another question, How can we apply Kirchhoff's voltage law in the secondary coil?
    Due to KVL the sum of voltages must equal zero.
    But appearantly, that doesn't exist in the secondary coil as long as the drop voltage is not equal to the supply voltage..

Any one has an explanation?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congratulations. You must have missed that point in a circuits lesson. But you reasoned yourself to the correct conclusion.

In this case, you're reasoning yourself to the wrong conclusion. KVL applies to an entire closed loop. Put a load across that secondary, then sum all the V drops around the loop and KVL works just fine.

:welcome:

4. Nov 18, 2016 #3
    I think one point you have missed for sure is that the supply voltage is applied to the primary coil therefore when we want to deal with KVL for the secondary coil the supply voltage does not appear anywhere...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted