How does one determine the period of a polar curve?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter motornoob101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Period Polar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
motornoob101
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
How does one know when the a polar curve repeats itself?

I usually go from 0 to 2pi but that sometimes get me into trouble.

For example:

Question says find the horizontal and vertical tangents of this curve..

[tex]r=3cos\theta[/tex]

I was like well.. you have horizontal tangents when

[tex]\theta = \pi/2, 3\pi/2, 5\pi/2, 7\pi/2[/tex]

vertical tangets when

[tex]\theta = 0, \pi/2, \pi, 3\pi/2[/tex]

until I looked at the solution manual and they have only first half of these points.. then I realized that the curve repeats itself at pi, not 2pi. So yeah any tricks to see when it ends? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well graphing it may help, or otherwise; at theta = pi, the line will be going in the negative direction, but cos (pi) is negative 1, so it will start going positive again, ie it starts again.