Find Horizontal/Vertical Tangents of Polar Curve r=cos(theta)+sin(theta)

In summary, to find the polar coordinates of points on the polar curve r=cos(theta)+sin(theta), where 0 is less than or equal to theta which is less than or equal to pi, where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical, we use the chain rule to find dx/d(theta) and dy/d(theta). We then set the numerator of the slope of the tangent line to 0 and use trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. This leads to the solutions of theta = 0-pi/4, pi/2, -pi/6, and 11pi/6.
Pull and Twist
How do I find the polar coordinates of the points on the polar curve r=cos(theta)+sin(theta), 0(greater than or equal to)(theta)(less than or equal to)(pi), where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical?

I know that I need to convert the coordinates to x & y and then take the derivative of the two (dy/dx) but can't seem to figure it out.

Using the chain rule I was able to figure out dx/d(theta)=2(-sin(theta))+cos^2(theta)-sin^2(theta) and dy/d(theta)=2cos(theta)+cos^2(theta)-sin^2(theta) but have no idea if I am on the correct path or what I need to do next. I thought about using the double angle trig identity but am not sure if it applies in this situation. It has been awhile since I had to utilize trig.

Any help would be awesome. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the following theorem:

[box=green]
Slope of Tangent Line

If $f$ is a differentiable function of $\theta$, then the slope of the tangent line to the graph of $r=f(\theta)$ at a point $(r,\theta)$ on the graph is:

$$\d{y}{x}=\frac{\dfrac{dy}{d\theta}}{\dfrac{dx}{d\theta}}=\frac{f(\theta)\cos(\theta)+f'(\theta)\sin(\theta)}{f'(\theta)\cos(\theta)-f(\theta)\sin(\theta)}\tag{1}$$

Provided that \(\displaystyle \d{x}{\theta}\ne0\).[/box]

For this problem, we are given:

\(\displaystyle f(\theta)=r=\cos(\theta)+\sin(\theta)\) where (I assume you mean) \(\displaystyle 0\le\theta\le\pi\)

So, first, let's compute $f'(\theta)$...what do you get?

If I am doing it correctly, f′(θ)=cos(θ)-sin(θ)

PullandTwist said:
If I am doing it correctly, f′(θ)=cos(θ)-sin(θ)

Yes, good...that's correct. So, using (1) that I posted above, what do we require for a horizontal tangent line?

That the slope is 0... in other words, f′(θ)=0

PullandTwist said:
That the slope is 0... in other words, f′(θ)=0

We actually need \(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}=0\)...which means the numerator on the far right side of (1) needs to be zero:

\(\displaystyle f(\theta)\cos(\theta)+f'(\theta)\sin(\theta)=0\)

So, plug in $f(\theta)$ and $f'(\theta)$ that you computed into this expression...what do you get?

I get; 2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos2(θ)-sin2(θ)

Again, assuming I did it correctly.

PullandTwist said:
I get; 2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos2(θ)-sin2(θ)

Again, assuming I did it correctly.

Yes, you did it correctly! (Sun)

We do want this to be equal to zero:

\(\displaystyle 2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)+\cos^2(\theta)-\sin^2(\theta)=0\)

Now, can you think of any familiar trigonometric identities that will allow you to simplify the expression on the left?

This is where I got stuck earlier because I'm rusty on my trig identities. What I want to do is apply the double angle formula to the cos2(θ)−sin2(θ) portion so I can get;

2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos2(θ)=0

Then distribute that first 2...

sin2(θ)cos2(θ)+cos2(θ)=0

Factor out the cos2(θ)

2cos(θ)(2sin(θ)+1)=0

Then set both equal to 0.

2cos(θ)=0 ... cos(θ)=0/2 ... θ=pi/2

2sin(θ)+1=0 ... sin(θ)=-1/2 ... θ=-pi/6 ... θ=11pi/6

Not sure though...

PullandTwist said:
This is where I got stuck earlier because I'm rusty on my trig identities. What I want to do is apply the double angle formula to the cos2(θ)−sin2(θ) portion so I can get;

2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos2(θ)=0

Then distribute that first 2...

sin2(θ)cos2(θ)+cos2(θ)=0

Factor out the cos2(θ)

2cos(θ)(2sin(θ)+1)=0

Then set both equal to 0.

2cos(θ)=0 ... cos(θ)=0/2 ... θ=pi/2

2sin(θ)+1=0 ... sin(θ)=-1/2 ... θ=-pi/6 ... θ=11pi/6

Not sure though...

You cannot distribute that 2, for in general, we have:

\(\displaystyle a\sin(x)\ne\sin(ax)\) and \(\displaystyle a\cos(x)\ne\cos(ax)\)

What you want are the following identities:

Step 1:

[box=red]
Double-Angle Identities for Sine and Cosine

$$\sin(2x)=2\sin(x)\cos(x)\tag{2}$$
$$\cos(2x)=\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)\tag{3}$$[/box]

Step 2:

[box=blue]
Linear Combination Identity

$$a\sin(x)+b\cos(x)=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sin\left(x+\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{b}{a}\right)\right)\tag{4}$$

where $a,b>0$[/box]

So I would go with;

2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos2(θ)−sin2(θ)=0

becomes;

sin(2θ)+cos(2θ)=0 ... 2sin(θ)+2cos(θ)=0

?

I've don't ever remember seeing the Linear Combination Identity in Pre-Calc.

Using Linear Combination Identity would give me??

2√2*sin(θ+pi/4)=0

sin(θ+pi/4)=0/2√2

θ+pi/4=0/sin

θ=0-pi/4

θ=-pi/4

θ=7pi/4

?

PullandTwist said:
So I would go with;

2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos2(θ)−sin2(θ)=0

becomes;

sin(2θ)+cos(2θ)=0 ... 2sin(θ)+2cos(θ)=0

?

I've don't ever remember seeing the Linear Combination Identity in Pre-Calc.

You are correct here:

\(\displaystyle \sin(2\theta)+\cos(2\theta)=0\)

But, you cannot pull the 2's out in front of the trig. functions, for the reason I cited earlier.

So, using the linear combination identity, we may write (after dividing through by $\sqrt{2}$ and using $\tan^{-1}(1)=\dfrac{\pi}{4}$):

\(\displaystyle \sin\left(2\theta+\frac{\pi}{4}\right)=0\)

Now, using the fact that if given:

\(\displaystyle \sin(x)=0\implies x=k\pi\) where \(\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}\) (this means $k$ is an arbitrary integer)

What do we get as the general solution for $\theta$?

I have no idea... I always want to get θ by itself normally...

2θ+pi/4=sin-10

2θ=0-pi/4

θ=-pi/8

Which I don't believe is right.

The general solution would come from:

\(\displaystyle 2\theta+\frac{\pi}{4}=k\pi\)

\(\displaystyle 2\theta=k\pi-\frac{\pi}{4}=\frac{\pi}{4}\left(4k-1\right)\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{8}\left(4k-1\right)\)

Now, using the restriction given on $\theta$, we may state:

\(\displaystyle 0\le\frac{\pi}{8}\left(4k-1\right)\le\pi\)

Multiply through by \(\displaystyle \frac{8}{\pi}\):

\(\displaystyle 0\le4k-1\le8\)

Add through by 1:

\(\displaystyle 1\le4k\le9\)

Divide through by 4:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\le k\le\frac{9}{4}\)

Since $k$ is an integer, we then find:

\(\displaystyle k\in\{1,2\}\)

Hence, our two solutions are:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{8}\left(4(1)-1\right)=\frac{3\pi}{8}\)

\(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{\pi}{8}\left(4(2)-1\right)=\frac{7\pi}{8}\)

Now, using $f(\theta)$, plug these angles into get the two points $(r,\theta)$.

Then, for the vertical tangent lines, what condition from (1) do we require?

f′(θ)cos(θ)−f(θ)sin(θ)=0

PullandTwist said:
f′(θ)cos(θ)−f(θ)sin(θ)=0

Correct...now can you follow a similar method to solve this?

By the way, you don't nee the linear combination identity...for example, in the first part of the problem, we have:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)+\cos(2\theta)=0\)

This implies:

\(\displaystyle \tan(2\theta)=-1\)

Which in turn implies:

\(\displaystyle 2\theta=-\frac{\pi}{4}+k\pi\)

Which is the same equation we obtain using the linear combination identity...:D

So, can you proceed?

And like before;

-2sin(θ)cos(θ)-cos2(θ)+sin2(θ)=0

-(2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos2(θ)-sin2(θ))=0

-(sin(2θ)+cos(2θ))=0

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
Correct...now can you follow a similar method to solve this?

By the way, you don't nee the linear combination identity...for example, in the first part of the problem, we have:

\(\displaystyle \sin(\theta)+\cos(2\theta)=0\)

This implies:

\(\displaystyle \tan(2\theta)=-1\)

Which in turn implies:

\(\displaystyle 2\theta=-\frac{\pi}{4}+k\pi\)

Which is the same equation we obtain using the linear combination identity...:D

So, can you proceed?

So how would you proceed without getting the same answer again?

PullandTwist said:
And like before;

-2sin(θ)cos(θ)-cos2(θ)+sin2(θ)=0

-(2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos2(θ)-sin2(θ))=0

-(sin(2θ)+cos(2θ))=0

- - - Updated - - -
So how would you proceed without getting the same answer again?

Well, that's not correct...what we want, as you stated is

\(\displaystyle f'(\theta)\cos(\theta)-f(\theta)\sin(\theta)=0\)

Thus, we find:

\(\displaystyle \left(\cos(\theta)-\sin(\theta)\right)\cos(\theta)-\left(\sin(\theta)+\cos(\theta)\right)\sin(\theta)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(\theta)-\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)-\sin^2(\theta)-\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \cos^2(\theta)-\sin^2(\theta)-2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)=0\)

\(\displaystyle \cos(2\theta)-\sin(2\theta)=0\)

Can you rewrite this in terms of $\tan(2\theta)$?

I have no idea... I didn't quite grasp how you're going from the sin cos function to the tangent one... are you using an identity i am not familiar with or are you dividing by the inverse to create the tangent?

PullandTwist said:
I have no idea... I didn't quite grasp how you're going from the sin cos function to the tangent one... are you using an identity i am not familiar with or are you dividing by the inverse to create the tangent?

Divide through by $\cos(2\theta)$...what do you get?

Note that this means we require $\cos(2\theta)\ne0$...:D

How did I overlook that... I feel silly.

1−sin(2θ)/cos(2θ)=0/cos(2θ)

1−tan(2θ)=0

tan(2θ)=1

- - - Updated - - -

Then

tan(2θ)=1

implies

2θ=pi/4+k(pi)

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you can factor out pi/4 to get...

2θ=(pi)/4(1+4k)

Divide by the 2...

θ=(pi)/8(1+4k)

Then use what we know about the restrictions on θ again to get...

-1/4≤k≤7/4

?

- - - Updated - - -

Then...

θ=(pi)/8(4(1)+1)=5(pi)/8

θ=(pi)/8(4(2)+1)=9(pi)/8

Correct, so what are the only values $k$ can be, and then what are your solutions?

edit: I see you posted again while I was posting...you should find from the compound inequality you correctly derived, that:

\(\displaystyle k\in\{0,1\}\)

Notice that one of the solutions you obtained is greater than $\pi$.

MarkFL said:
Correct, so what are the only values $k$ can be, and then what are your solutions?

edit: I see you posted again while I was posting...you should find from the compound inequality you correctly derived, that:

\(\displaystyle k\in\{0,1\}\)

Notice that one of the solutions you obtained is greater than $\pi$.

I just noticed that too...

θ=(pi)/8(4(0)+1)=(pi)/8

θ=(pi)/8(4(1)+1)=5(pi)/8

Those would be the two points... then if I plug a point in the original r(θ) function I should be able to get the corresponding point for that given θ.

It does come out super funky though... (View attachment 3423

That's for the first horizontal tangent point we got.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 49
Another way to express that point is:

\(\displaystyle (r,\theta)=\left(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}},\frac{3\pi}{8}\right)\)

and the other horizontal tangent point is:

\(\displaystyle (r,\theta)=\left(-\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}},\frac{7\pi}{8}\right)\)

MarkFL said:
Another way to express that point is:

\(\displaystyle (r,\theta)=\left(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}},\frac{3\pi}{8}\right)\)

and the other horizontal tangent point is:

\(\displaystyle (r,\theta)=\left(-\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}},\frac{7\pi}{8}\right)\)

Much better looking... for the vertical tangents I got the same r value for both which matches the r value of the 3(pi)/8 horizontal line. Is that correct?

PullandTwist said:
Much better looking... for the vertical tangents I got the same r value for both which matches the r value of the 3(pi)/8 horizontal line. Is that correct?

I get for the vertical tangent, the points:

\(\displaystyle (r,\theta)=\left(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}},\frac{\pi}{8}\right),\,\left(\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}},\frac{5\pi}{8}\right)\)

MarkFL said:
I get for the vertical tangent, the points:

\(\displaystyle (r,\theta)=\left(\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}},\frac{\pi}{8}\right),\,\left(\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}},\frac{5\pi}{8}\right)\)

Is there any way you can work out the r for 5pi/8 so I can see why it came out wrong for me?? Thank you, you've been an amazing help. I feel like I've got a much better understanding of this.

PullandTwist said:
Is there any way you can work out the r for 5pi/8 so I can see why it came out wrong for me?? Thank you, you've been an amazing help. I feel like I've got a much better understanding of this.

I just plugged those angles into a calculator, for the given function. This is the result for \(\displaystyle \theta=\frac{5\pi}{8}\):

sin'('5pi'/'8')''+'cos'('5pi'/'8')' - Wolfram|Alpha

Awesome, thank you so much! You've been a major help.

PullandTwist said:
Awesome, thank you so much! You've been a major help.

It is a pleasure to help someone who shows their work and makes a genuine effort. (Yes)

I look forward to seeing you around. :D

Related to Find Horizontal/Vertical Tangents of Polar Curve r=cos(theta)+sin(theta)

1. What is the process for finding horizontal and vertical tangents of a polar curve?

To find horizontal and vertical tangents of a polar curve, we first need to convert the polar equation into Cartesian coordinates. This can be done by using the equations x = r*cos(theta) and y = r*sin(theta). Once we have the Cartesian equation, we can find the derivatives dy/dx and dx/dy. Horizontal tangents occur when dy/dx = 0, and vertical tangents occur when dx/dy = 0.

2. Can horizontal and vertical tangents occur at the same point on a polar curve?

Yes, it is possible for a point on a polar curve to have both a horizontal and vertical tangent. This occurs when both dy/dx and dx/dy are equal to 0 at that point.

3. How do we determine if a polar curve has a horizontal or vertical tangent at a specific point?

To determine if a polar curve has a horizontal or vertical tangent at a specific point, we can substitute the point's coordinates into the derivatives dy/dx and dx/dy. If either of these derivatives is equal to 0, then the curve has a tangent at that point. If both derivatives are equal to 0, then the curve has both a horizontal and vertical tangent at that point.

4. Are there any special cases when finding horizontal and vertical tangents of a polar curve?

Yes, there are two special cases when finding horizontal and vertical tangents of a polar curve. The first is when the polar curve is a circle with the equation r = a, where a is a constant. In this case, the tangent at any point on the circle is a vertical line. The second case is when the polar curve is a cardioid with the equation r = a(1+cos(theta)), where a is a constant. In this case, the curve has a horizontal tangent at the origin and a vertical tangent at the point (a,0).

5. Can we use the same method to find horizontal and vertical tangents for all polar curves?

Yes, the same method can be used to find horizontal and vertical tangents for all polar curves. However, the equations for converting to Cartesian coordinates and finding the derivatives may vary depending on the specific polar equation. It is important to carefully follow the steps and use the correct equations for each curve.