How does one pay for graduate school?

In summary, the individual is considering returning to school to study quantitative finance, but is currently facing financial constraints. They are unsure about taking out loans or applying for graduate assistantships, which typically offer a stipend of around $6,000 for 9 months. It is suggested to also apply for grants to supplement the stipend. They may also consider attending school as a night student and gaining work experience before pursuing a PhD. It is noted that stipend rates may vary depending on the school and program.
Hodgey8806
I currently have my math degree, and I am working in the actuarial world. However, I'm considering returning to school to study quantitative finance, because I like economics and it will give me exposure (without requiring ph. D for a job).

Unfortunately, I'm in mostly financial constraints. I don't want to take out a loan for grad school, and I wasn't quite sure about graduate assistantships. It looks like they pay 6k over 9 months...REALLY! My crappy apt would cost more than that---and I do mean crappy. So I wasn't sure, is that 6k stipend the full amount or does it usually work that graduate assistantships also get say 20 hr/week pay too?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the school and the degree but something on the order of 16-20 thousand dollars is what I would expect if you are working 20 hours a week, along with full tuition. For example at the University of Michigan if you teach both semesters at a 20 hour per week workload (not 20 hours of actual classtime, 20 hours total worktime) you'll get paid something close to 18,000 dollars.

School are typically more liberal in giving money to Phd students than masters students though (which it sounds like is what you want to do), so it might be hard to get funding.

If you have to pay for graduate school it may not be worth the tons of debt you'll rack up. Student loan debt isn't as easy to payoff as you may think--life happens.

I can't imagine living off of $18k, that's borderline poverty and you'll still likely need to take out loans to make ends meet if you go to a school near or in a major city.

Your best bet is to spray and pray as many grant funding apps as you can and hope to land a few grand on top of a stipend.

Have you considered going to school as a just a night student? Many master programs geared towards finance offer many of their programs classes later in the day to have the added benefit of allowing working professionals attend and be part of the class. In fact, in my experience a good deal of financial engineering type programs have a preference towards people who have work experience already. It may take longer, but if it's an option in your area, it's definitely worth a shot.

I thought most PhDs in the sciences were paid for by government grants? NIH or something?

NextElement said:
I thought most PhDs in the sciences were paid for by government grants? NIH or something?
from op
Hodgey8806 said:
I currently have my math degree, and I am working in the actuarial world. However, I'm considering returning to school to study quantitative finance, because I like economics and it will give me exposure (without requiring ph. D for a job).

Likes 1 person
Remember, a TA stipend is only for the academic year, i.e. 9 months. I remember my initial stipend as a grad student was about $450-$500 per month, 38 years ago, which would be about $1800-$2000 now, after inflation.

I always had a roommate, first an EE grad student for a couple of years, then a fellow physics grad student. I didn't own a car until my parents gave me their second car during my last year in grad school. I usually made my own meals, brown-bagged a sandwich or something to school, and ate out maybe 2-3 times a week. My social life was mainly hanging out with a group of fellow grad students who were in a similar financial situation. We didn't spend much money on entertainment.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm looking at the business site and it says, "Stipends for graduate assistantships start at approximately $6,000 - $6,500 per 9 month academic year for master's students and approximately $13,000 - $18,900 per 9 month academic year for doctoral students, with a limited number of tuition waiver fellowships available each fall semester to incoming students new to the PhD program."

However, the math department stats that for the 9 month period it is a monthly 2k stipend.

I guess I need to check to make sure that isn't an error.

Thanks again!

Related to How does one pay for graduate school?

1. How much does graduate school cost?

The cost of graduate school varies depending on the program and institution, but it can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars per year. It is important to research the specific program and school you are interested in to determine the cost.

2. Are there scholarships or financial aid available for graduate school?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid options available for graduate school. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early, as they can be competitive. Additionally, some programs may offer assistantships or fellowships that provide financial support in exchange for work or research.

3. Can I take out student loans to pay for graduate school?

Yes, you can take out federal or private student loans to help cover the cost of graduate school. However, it is important to carefully consider the amount of debt you are taking on and to create a budget to ensure you can repay the loans after graduation.

4. Are there any alternative ways to fund graduate school?

Yes, there are alternative ways to fund graduate school such as employer tuition assistance, military benefits, and savings or investments. It is important to explore all options and determine the best fit for your individual situation.

5. How can I manage my finances while in graduate school?

Managing finances while in graduate school can be challenging, but there are ways to make it easier. Creating a budget, seeking part-time employment or freelance opportunities, and reducing expenses can all help to manage finances while in school. Additionally, some schools offer financial literacy programs or resources to help students manage their finances.