How does one pronounce de Broglie ?
- Thread starter rock.freak667
- Start date
-
- Tags
- De broglie
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 47K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
Most annoying mispronunciations by instructors:lisab said:I got "imprinted on" by a professor, too (now, now...don't go there). He was from...Texas, maybe? Very odd accent. He pronounced "kinetic" with emphasis on the first syllable, and the first "i" as a "long i" : KY-net-ic. I still hear him in my mind: KY-net-ic energy.
Epoch pronounced as EE-pock
Ephemerides prounounced (ef-FEM-er Ides) as if he were talking about an effeminate version of the Ides of March
If I had it to do over, I think I would have named my girls Ephemerides and Molybdenum (Meri and Molly for short).
Andre
- 4,296
- 73
Well I think that on the shortlist of the most mispronounced names also is "Goethe" mistreated to something like 'geoths'. but the german 'oe', equivalent to Dutch 'eu' sound, seems to have no English equivalent. Actually the vowel sounds in English are more limited than other European languages. Most close I would think is the sound of the "u" as in "thus" or "duh", but longer and with emphasis. So it looks that "Goethe" sounds like kuh -tuh (soft k, first syllable long, second short).
Similar threads
Graduate
How does one pronounce "Nijenhuis"?
- strangerep
- · Replies 7 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 7
- Astrofiend
- · Replies 5 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 5
- dpatnd
- · Replies 8 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 8
- student85
- · Replies 10 ·
- Quantum Interpretations and Foundations
- Replies
- 10
- Freixas
- · Replies 36 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 36
- Greg Bernhardt
- · Replies 1 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 1
- DavidTheNERD
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- Fr0stBite
- · Replies 28 ·
- Electromagnetism
- Replies
- 28
- marcus
- · Replies 6 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 6
- wasteofo2
- · Replies 5 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 5