1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does the following simplify?

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement

( F(r) [itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex] ( [itex]r^{2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex] ) ) g(r)

2. The attempt at a solution

Does it just melt down to:

( F(r) [itex]r^{2}[/itex] g(r) ) [itex]\frac{d^{2}}{dr^{2}}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It pretty much doesn't make sense at all. Except in the context of operators, which I don't think is applicable here, d/dr and d2/dr2 don't stand on their own.

The derivative operator d/dr should be applied to some function of r, such as d/dr(r2), which simplifies to 2r.

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To add to what Mark44 said, presumably you mean [itex]F(r) \frac{d}{dr}[/itex] ( [itex]r^{2}[/itex] [itex]\frac{d}{dr}g(r)[/itex] ). You can expand the outer d/dr using the product rule.

5. Oct 24, 2013 #4
    sure, I don't trust operators so forgive me but I have to ask if I can presume that the order of working through such an example might then follows something like this...

k(r) = [itex]r^{2}[/itex]

H(r) = [itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex] ( k(r) g(r) ) ------> using the product rule

=> [itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex] ( F(r) H(r) ) ------> using the product rule...

or this:

=> F(r) x { [itex]\frac{d}{dr}[/itex] [ [itex]r^{2}[/itex] x [itex]\frac{dg(r)}{dr}[/itex] ] }, using the product rule for the parts in the [] brackets

6. Oct 24, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I see no way to move the F(r) inside the derivative like that. It certainly is not the product rule.
    Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted