How Does the Limit of (1 + x/n)^n as n Approaches Infinity Equal e^x?

  • Thread starter Thread starter island-boy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
island-boy
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
hello, I need the proof to show that:
[tex] e^x = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n[/tex]

Here's what I was able to come up with so far:
since the derivative of [tex]e^x[/tex] is also [tex]e^x[/tex],

then let f(x) = [tex]e^x[/tex]
thus:
D(f(x)) = [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^{x+h} - e^x}{h} = e^x\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^h - 1}{h}[/tex]

so for the derivative of [tex]e^x[/tex] to equal itself,
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{e^h - 1}{h} = 1[/tex]

so for small values of h, we can write:
[tex]e^h - 1 = h[/tex]
and so
[tex]e = (1+h)^{1/h}[/tex]

Replacing h by 1/n, we get:
[tex]e = (1 + 1/n)^n[/tex]
As n gets larger and approaches infinity, we get:
[tex]e = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+1/n)^n[/tex]

so, how do I get:
[tex] e^x = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n[/tex]

Also, is it true that:
[tex](1+x/n)^n \leq e^x[/tex] and
[tex](1-x/n)^n \leq e^{-x}[/tex] for every natural n and every x element of X?
How can I prove this?

thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
island-boy said:
hello, I need the proof to show that:
[tex] e^x = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n[/tex]
...
thanks!
Have you tried the Binomial theorem ?
 
I would've taken the expression for e and raised both sides to the x power.

so for small values of h, we can write:
You really ought to do this more rigorously...

P.S. many of the limits in your limits are wrong.
 
As a hint, set 1/u=x/n, and re-express in terms of u and x.
 
Hurkyl said:
I would've taken the expression for e and raised both sides to the x power.You really ought to do this more rigorously...

P.S. many of the limits in your limits are wrong.

which one of the limits are wrong?

I was able to prove that:
[tex](1 + x/n)^n \leq e^x[/tex] and [tex](1 - x/n)^n \leq e^{-x}[/tex]

Using the Taylor expansion for [tex]e^x[/tex], I got

[tex]e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + ...[/tex]
which means
[tex]e^x \geq 1 + x[/tex]
subtituting x by x/n, I get
[tex]e^{x/n} \geq 1 + x/n[/tex]
thus
[tex]e^{(x/n)n} \geq (1 + x/n)^n[/tex]
simplifying, I get:
[tex]e^x \geq (1 + x/n)^n[/tex]

Similarly I used the Taylor Expnansion to prove that
[tex] e^x = \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n[/tex]

since [tex]e^x = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} +...[/tex]

and using binomial theorem for [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+x/n)^n[/tex]
I got:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}1^n + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} x + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n(n-1)(x^2)}{(n^2)(2!)} + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)(x^3)}{(n^3)(3!)} + \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)(x^4)}{(n^4)(4!)} + ...<br /> <br /> = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} +...<br /> <br /> =e^x[/tex]

these correct?
 
Last edited:
You've used n-->infinity in expressions that don't even have an n in them! (You meant h-->0)
 
Essentially, this

benorin said:
That [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1+\frac{x}{n})^n = e^x[/tex] may be proven as follows:

by the binomial theorem,

[tex](1+\frac{x}{n})^n = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}\left( \frac{x}{n}\right) ^{k} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} \frac{n!}{(n-k)!}\frac{1}{n^{k}} \frac{x^k}{k!}\rightarrow \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^k}{k!}=:e^{x}\mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

since [tex]\frac{n!}{(n-k)!}\frac{1}{n^{k}} \rightarrow 1 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

although there are some uniform convergence issues to be handled when taking the limit of the above sum...

and this,

benorin said:
This is not rigorous, but it works...

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-k)!} = \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots (n-(k-1))(n-k)!}{(n-k)!} =n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots (n-(k-1))[/tex]

counting the number of terms in the above product: it goes n-0 through n-(k-1) so there are (k-1)-0+1 = k terms so we know that the leading term will be nk when the product is expanded, and hence

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-k)!} = n^k + \mbox{ some polynomial of degree k-1 in }n[/tex]

or rather

[tex]\frac{n!}{(n-k)!}\frac{1}{n^{k}} \rightarrow 1 \mbox{ as }n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]