How does the position of a force affect a spinning wheel

• Thread starter Pinon1977
  • Start date

Homework Statement

1m diameter solid disc spinning at 10 rpms with a subsequent .5m diameter solid disc being driven by the 1m sokid disc.

Homework Equations

Not sure there is one for my particular situation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Just using the torque is equal to force times distance equation, it would stand to reason that the load position further away from the vertical Center Line of the wheel would have a greater negative impact on the RPMs of the larger wheel then one that would be positioned at the 12 and 6 position. Please see attached sketch

Attachments

Answers and Replies

I think something must have been lost when you wrote this problem down. As drawn they all have the same effect. There is nothing in the problem that makes the y axis special.

Lets say each roller has a force of 10 newtons being applied to it in order to maintain a spinning relationship with the larger disc. Ok, so that 10 Newton is applied at 0m from the cwntee of the disc at #1 roller, .25m at #2 roller, and .5M at #3 roller. So, that would create a negative "leveraging" effect wouldn't it? Just like in a gearset?

#3 would be 5 nm, #2 would be 2.5 50Nm, and #3 would be 0 nm. No?

Your thoughts? Or am I reading more I to this situation that necessary?

Lets say each roller has a force of 10 newtons being applied to it in order to maintain a spinning relationship with the larger disc. Ok, so that 10 Newton is applied at 0m from the cwntee of the disc at #1 roller, .25m at #2 roller, and .5M at #3 roller. So, that would create a negative "leveraging" effect wouldn't it? Just like in a gearset?

#3 would be 5 nm, #2 would be 2.5 50Nm, and #3 would be 0 nm. No?
You drew the directions of the forces so that they all act through the axis of rotation. There is no difference in the three choices. There are no other forces in the problem to make any direction special. The coordinate system doesn’t matter. Forget the coordinate system. Why would it make any difference where around the wheel you place the roller?

I think there must be something more given in the problem or something wrong with your drawing.