How does the volume of air in the lungs change with temperature?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iastate51
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
iastate51
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



After emptying her lung, a person inhales 4.1 L of air at 0.0 oC and holds her breath.
How much does the volume of the air increase as it warms up to her body temperature at 37 o?

Homework Equations


No equation through my notes I could find



The Attempt at a Solution


I figured in since the person is holding breath the volume doesn't change unless they were to release therefore keeping the volume at 4.1L
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you probably are intended to consider the pressure remaining constant at prevailing atmospheric pressure. The inhaled air expands as it warms, so that when you are about to exhale, you have more volume to empty.

You can use Charles' Law or the general gas law.
 
Last edited: