How does the volume of air in the lungs change with temperature?

• Thread starter iastate51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Volume
Using Charles' Law, the volume change can be calculated as (V2-V1) = V1(T2-T1)/T1, where V1 is the initial volume, T1 is the initial temperature, T2 is the final temperature (37 degrees Celsius), and V2 is the final volume. Plugging in the values, we get (V2-4.1) = 4.1(37-0)/(273+0), which simplifies to V2 = 4.5 L. Therefore, the volume of air increases by 0.4 L as it warms up to body temperature. In summary, the volume of air inhaled by a person holding their breath at 0 degrees Celsius increases
iastate51

Homework Statement

After emptying her lung, a person inhales 4.1 L of air at 0.0 oC and holds her breath.
How much does the volume of the air increase as it warms up to her body temperature at 37 o?

Homework Equations

No equation through my notes I could find

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured in since the person is holding breath the volume doesn't change unless they were to release therefore keeping the volume at 4.1L

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you probably are intended to consider the pressure remaining constant at prevailing atmospheric pressure. The inhaled air expands as it warms, so that when you are about to exhale, you have more volume to empty.

You can use Charles' Law or the general gas law.

Last edited:

1. What is the average volume of air in the lungs?

The average volume of air in the lungs is around 4-6 liters. This can vary depending on factors such as age, height, and overall health.

2. How is the volume of air in the lungs measured?

The volume of air in the lungs is measured using a device called a spirometer. This device measures the amount of air that can be exhaled and inhaled by the lungs.

3. Can the volume of air in the lungs change?

Yes, the volume of air in the lungs can change. It can increase during physical activity or deep breathing exercises, and decrease during conditions such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

4. Is there a difference in the volume of air in the lungs between men and women?

On average, men tend to have a slightly larger lung capacity and volume compared to women. This is due to physiological differences such as body size and hormones.

5. How does smoking affect the volume of air in the lungs?

Smoking can decrease the volume of air in the lungs by causing damage and inflammation to the lung tissue. This can lead to conditions such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis, which can significantly reduce lung capacity.