Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does this message board find similar threads?

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    I've noticed that at the bottom of each post it shows similar threads, and the matches are pretty good.

Does anyone know how it goes about doing this? Does it summarize an entire thread? Does it use tags?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    Pretty good question... I'd imagine that it just simply uses key-word searching algorithms. IBM's Computer Science Research and Development department are talking about trying to develop a "context" search algorithm instead. So, instead of getting a search engine which might use your keyword and synonyms for the word, you have an algorithm which (somehow) understands the context of what you're searching for.
    I doubt that this website has that, since it's still in development, but they might have something nifty.
  4. Nov 21, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

It just picks up a random word from the thread title.
  5. Nov 21, 2008 #4
    Cool concept IBM has there.. kind of like semantic web.

Maybe one day when I have time I'll take a peak at the vBulletin source code. I'm thinking it does a full-text search using the words in the title (eg: "how + does + this + message....") onto all initial posts of threads.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?