Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How exactly are X-Rays produced?

1. Jan 21, 2017 #1
    I found that in a cathode ray tube accelerated Electrons produce X rays! Now it can be in 3 ways
    1) When the electrons are being accelerated by increasing Voltage...then according classical theoy they should radiate energy! It may be the X ray
    2) When it reaches the metal plate there will be the acceleration due to nucleus, it may produce X rays, which we call Bremsstrahlung
    3) If the electron strike another electron and seize it's place then its energy also converts into X ray!
    Pls help me where am I wrong in my concept????

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Your 2) and 3) both happen. In 1) the acceleration is comparatively quite gentle, so any radiation would be far below the x ray range. Also, it is accelerating so I would think it would be absorbing radiation rather than emitting it, but I am not sure about that point.

4. Jan 22, 2017 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Actually, it is not "acceleration", but rather deceleration. Bremsstrahlung is "braking radiation", i.e. while it is slowing down.

Again, a bit inaccurate. It has to be one of the "core level" electrons in the atom, some time called the K-shell or deeper. It doesn't seize its place, but rather knocks it out of place. Then, this state is empty, the other electrons in the atoms will decay down to this state, emitting EM radiation. Due to the nature of the transition into this state, this is when x-ray is emitted.

You may want to refer to this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/xrayc.html

Zz.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  5. Jan 23, 2017 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

an accelerating electron emits EM ... standard for an AC ( RF) circuit :smile:

6. Jan 23, 2017 #5

ORF

Hello

In classical electrodynamics, if acceleration is not zero, it will emit em waves (independently on the sign of the acceleration).

In a particle accelerator (specifically betatron, synchrotron, and similar), they loss a lot of energy while trying to give more energy (momentum) to the particles.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchrotron#Principle_of_operation

Greetings.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. Jan 23, 2017 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't want to be picky, but what you wrote and what you quoted from Wikipedia do not match.

"Bremsstralung" happens when a charged particle is decelerated very quickly. This happens in, say, when a charge particle is stopped by a piece of material. This is a major issue in shielding for particle accelerators.

The loss of energy in synchrotron, betatron, cyclotron is due to the BENDING of the path of the charged particles, which is a form of acceleration. There is no loss in kinetic energy of the charged particles. This is, technically, not usually categorized as Bremsstralung radiation.

Zz.

8. Jan 23, 2017 #7

ORF

Hello

Sorry, you are right. Thank you for the clarification [I have removed the reference to bremsstrahlung]

Greetings.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted