How can X-ray energy transitions be identified?

In summary, the X-ray energy transitions within an atom are divided into shells labeled K, L, M, N, O, etc. The X-ray associated with an electron dropping to a K shell is called K radiation. If the electron drops from a shell directly above K, it is called K-alpha radiation, and if it drops from 2 shells above, it is called K-beta radiation. K-alpha 1 and K-alpha 2 radiation come from electrons dropping down from different L subshells. The selection rules for X-ray transitions state that the change in the orbital angular momentum quantum number l must be plus or minus 1, and some sources suggest that the change in the principal quantum number n must be at least one. However
Gevorg
Here is what I understand so far about x-ray energy transitions within an atom: The shells are divided up from lowest to highest as K, L, M, N, O, and so on. The X-ray associated with an electron dropping to a K shell is called K radiation. If the electron drops dropped from a shell directly above K (L, for example), it is called K-alpha radiation. If it drops from 2 shells above, then it is K-beta radiation.

Here's what I still don't understand: Where do K-alpha 1 and K-alpha 2 radiation come from? Are those corresponding to electrons dropping down from different L subshells? If so, how do I know which subshell each one came from?

I also don't quite understand the selection rules at play. I know that the change in the orbital angular momentum quantum number l must be plus or minus 1. Some sources say the change in the principal quantum number n must be at least one while another source I looked at said there are no selection rules for n. My modern physics professor showed us an energy level diagram for Bismuth, in which he only applied the selection rule on l.

Science news on Phys.org

1. How do X-ray energy transitions occur?

X-ray energy transitions occur when an electron in an atom is excited to a higher energy level, and then returns to its original energy level, releasing energy in the form of X-rays. This can happen through various processes such as collisions with other particles or absorption of high energy photons.

2. What techniques are used to identify X-ray energy transitions?

There are several techniques used to identify X-ray energy transitions, including X-ray diffraction, X-ray fluorescence, and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. These techniques rely on the unique energy signatures of X-rays emitted during energy transitions to identify the elements present in a sample.

3. How can X-ray energy transitions be distinguished from other types of energy transitions?

X-ray energy transitions can be distinguished from other types of energy transitions by their high energy levels and short wavelengths. X-ray energy transitions typically occur in the range of 100 electron volts (eV) to 100 kiloelectron volts (keV), and have wavelengths on the order of 0.01 to 10 nanometers (nm).

4. What is the significance of identifying X-ray energy transitions?

Identifying X-ray energy transitions is important in various scientific fields, such as materials science, chemistry, and medicine. It allows us to understand the composition and structure of different materials, diagnose medical conditions, and develop new technologies.

5. How has technology advanced the identification of X-ray energy transitions?

Advancements in technology have greatly improved the identification of X-ray energy transitions. X-ray detectors, spectrometers, and imaging techniques have become more sensitive and precise, allowing for more accurate identification of elements and energy levels. Additionally, advancements in computational methods have made it easier to analyze and interpret X-ray data.