Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How exactly do you find the net force between charges?

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    I was doing some homework problems, and I came across a couple I didn't know. I then realized I must have screwed up my understanding on electrical forces.

For an electrical force, if there are two protons, the force is k*q1*q2/r^2. The direction is in the opposite direction.

<---(+) (+)--->

Right?

What would be the net force there assuming the charge is e? Would it be 0 since they are in the opposite direction and have equal distances?

My question is it possible to have a third electron and still have the net force equal to 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Yes and Yes! If [itex]\textbf{F}_{i, j}[/itex] means the force that charged particle j exerts on charged particle i, then [itex]\textbf{F}_{i, j}[/itex] = [itex]\textbf{F}_{j, i}[/itex]. In other words the forces between the particles are equal and opposite.

For three particles,
    the force on particle 1 is [itex]\textbf{F}_{1, 2}[/itex] + [itex]\textbf{F}_{1, 3}[/itex]
    the force on particle 2 is [itex]\textbf{F}_{2, 3}[/itex] + [itex]\textbf{F}_{2, 1}[/itex]
    the force on particle 3 is [itex]\textbf{F}_{3, 1}[/itex] + [itex]\textbf{F}_{3, 2}[/itex]

So the net force, that is the forces on all three particles added together, is zero, because
    [itex]\textbf{F}_{1, 2}[/itex] = [itex]-\textbf{F}_{2, 1}[/itex] and so on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?