How far did the bike travel with acceleration and constant speed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter razored
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 8K views
razored
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Acceleration and Distance

Homework Statement


"A bike first accelerates from 0.0m/s to 5.0m/s in 4.5secs, then continues at this constant speed for another
4.5s. What is the total distance traveled by the bike?"


Homework Equations


d = .5 a t^2 + Vi* t
a = V/t
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part it would be best to used the average speed to work out the distance.

[tex]s =\left(\frac{u+v}{2}\right) t[/tex]
 
Hey Razored. :smile:

Ok, I am sure there is more than one way to approach this question. I would draw out a speed time graph, with time along the x-axis and time up the y-axis, then calculate the area under the graph. Do you understand that? If not just let me know and I will try and explain. These forums usually ask that you make or show some workings first. :smile:
 
Okay, you have the equations, and you have the numbers. Now do the arithmetic! What is the acceleration if the bike accelerated from 0 to 5 m/s in 4.5 s? Just put the numbers into the second equation. Use the first equation to find the distance the bike traveled in that time.

The second part is easy. When the bike got to 5 m/s it stopped accelerating- it continued at 5 m/s for 4.5 s. How far did it go in the second 4.5 seconds?

Now find the total distance it travelled.
 
razored said:
I got 34m total, is that correct?
Correct with round off.

As others mentioned there are two parts. One period of 4.5 s at constant acceleration and one period of 4.5 s at constant velocity.

During the first period, the average v is 2.5 m/s, so d = 2.5 m/s * 4.5 s, and in the second V = 5 m/s, so d = 5 m/s * 4.5 s.
 
Its amazing how much service one can drum up in the chat room.
 
^ Haha I know! The question is also nice to do, or atleast I enjoyed it nice a simple. =]