How Far Does the Canoe Recoil When I Walk from One End to the Other?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
uchicago2012
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
I am floating in a canoe in still water. I carefully walk from one end of the canoe to the other. If my mass is M and the canoe's is Mc, how far does the canoe recoil?

I've solved more complicated problems but this one confuses me. Isn't recoil the velocity of a body after collision? I would have thought I would need at least one velocity. Obviously the center of mass shifts from end of the canoe to the other. I'm confused on how to approach this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you measure the distance of the center of mass from the end from which you have started walking, and L is the length of the canoe, the center of mass of you and canoe before you start walking is

Xcm = (Mc*L/2)/(M + Mc)

When you move to the other end of the canoe, the center of mass will be

X'cm = [M*L + Mc*(L/2 - x)]

Since there is no external force acting on the canoe Xcm = X'cm.

Now solve for x.