Calculating the Distance of Canoe Movement

  • Thread starter Thread starter am13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Movement
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
am13
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 45.0-kg woman stands up in a 60.0-kg canoe 5.00 m long. She walks from a point 1.00 m from one end to a point 1.00 m from the other end.

If you ignore resistance to motion of the canoe in the water, how far does the canoe move during this process?

Homework Equations



xcm = (mAxA + mBxB) / (mA + mB)

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that I should find the position of the center of mass when the woman is just standing on the canoe, and then plug that into a second center of mass equation to find the new x-value for the canoe, but I can't seem to get it. I am not sure what to plug into the first equation for the x value of the canoe, when the woman isn't walking. Would it be 0, 5, or 2.5 (half of 5, and thus the center of its mass?) or neither of these? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
am13 said:
… I know that I should find the position of the center of mass when the woman is just standing on the canoe, and then plug that into a second center of mass equation to find the new x-value for the canoe, but I can't seem to get it. I am not sure what to plug into the first equation for the x value of the canoe, when the woman isn't walking. Would it be 0, 5, or 2.5 (half of 5, and thus the center of its mass?) or neither of these? Thanks.

Hi am13! :smile:

Hint: Whereabout in the canoe is the joint centre of mass before and after?
 
Would the joint center of mass be where the person is walking?
 
(just got up :zzz: …)
am13 said:
Would the joint center of mass be where the person is walking?

uhh? :confused:

The joint centre of mass is given by the equation in your first post.