Calculating the Distance of Canoe Movement

• Thread starter am13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, the problem involves a woman standing up in a canoe and walking from one point to another. The goal is to find the distance the canoe moves without considering resistance to motion. The solution involves finding the position of the center of mass when the woman is standing and then using a second center of mass equation to find the new x-value for the canoe. The joint center of mass is where the person is walking.
am13

Homework Statement

A 45.0-kg woman stands up in a 60.0-kg canoe 5.00 m long. She walks from a point 1.00 m from one end to a point 1.00 m from the other end.

If you ignore resistance to motion of the canoe in the water, how far does the canoe move during this process?

Homework Equations

xcm = (mAxA + mBxB) / (mA + mB)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I should find the position of the center of mass when the woman is just standing on the canoe, and then plug that into a second center of mass equation to find the new x-value for the canoe, but I can't seem to get it. I am not sure what to plug into the first equation for the x value of the canoe, when the woman isn't walking. Would it be 0, 5, or 2.5 (half of 5, and thus the center of its mass?) or neither of these? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
am13 said:
… I know that I should find the position of the center of mass when the woman is just standing on the canoe, and then plug that into a second center of mass equation to find the new x-value for the canoe, but I can't seem to get it. I am not sure what to plug into the first equation for the x value of the canoe, when the woman isn't walking. Would it be 0, 5, or 2.5 (half of 5, and thus the center of its mass?) or neither of these? Thanks.

Hi am13! :smile:

Hint: Whereabout in the canoe is the joint centre of mass before and after?

Would the joint center of mass be where the person is walking?

(just got up :zzz: …)
am13 said:
Would the joint center of mass be where the person is walking?

uhh? :confused:

The joint centre of mass is given by the equation in your first post.

1. How can I calculate the distance of canoe movement?

To calculate the distance of canoe movement, you will need to measure the time it takes for the canoe to travel a certain distance. Then, use the formula distance = speed x time to calculate the distance covered by the canoe. Make sure to convert the speed to the same units as the time measurement.

2. What factors affect the distance of canoe movement?

The distance of canoe movement can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the canoe, the direction and strength of the current or wind, the weight of the canoe and its passengers, and the shape of the canoe's hull. Other factors such as weather conditions and water temperature can also impact the distance covered.

3. How accurate are the calculations for canoe movement distance?

The accuracy of the calculations for canoe movement distance depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken. If the measurements for time and speed are accurate, the calculated distance will also be accurate. However, factors such as wind and currents can affect the actual distance covered and may lead to slight discrepancies in the calculations.

4. Is there any software or tool available for calculating the distance of canoe movement?

Yes, there are various software and online tools available that can help you calculate the distance of canoe movement. These tools use GPS data and other factors to accurately calculate the distance. However, it is always recommended to double-check the results with manual calculations to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating the distance of canoe movement?

Aside from using the formula distance = speed x time, you can also use a GPS device to track the distance covered by the canoe. Another method is to use landmarks or known distances along the route to estimate the distance covered. However, these methods may not be as accurate as using the speed and time formula.