How Far is Mile Start Line from Finish Line at end of Lane 8

• B
  • Thread starter eldrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the question being discussed is about the layout of a curved start for track races longer than 400m. The goal is to calculate the distance from the finish line to the end of the mile start line, specifically at the end of lane 8. This involves solving five simultaneous equations, which have been provided in detail. The estimated answer is around 5m.
eldrick
I'm not proficient here, nor skilled, but it is it one of most important calculations in sport.

Every point on Mile start line means all run 1609.344m by hitting tangent at various points on 1st bend

Every guy has to hit a tangent at assumed different parts of bend

( 36.80m is shortest distance run in inner lane-1 to run 400m or 1609.344m, even though kerb is 36.50m

All runners obviously must run 1609.344m from staggered starting points on start line until gradually merging but never immediate coincide ! )

I have tried for weeks with my meagre brain & got nowhere but 5 simultaneous equations for this, involving Trigonometry

How far Mile start line at end of 8th lane from Finish line ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
eldrick said:
I'm not proficient here, nor skilled, but it is it one of most important calculations in sport.

Every point on Mile start line means all run 1609.344m by hitting tangent at various points on 1st bend

Every guy has to hit a tangent at assumed different parts of bend

( 36.80m is shortest distance run in inner lane-1 to run 400m or 1609.344m, even though kerb is 36.50m

All runners obviously must run 1609.344m from staggered starting points on start line until gradually merging but never immediate coincide ! )

I have tried for weeks with my meagre brain & got nowhere but 5 simultaneous equations for this, involving Trigonometry

How far Mile start line at end of 8th lane from Finish line ?
What have you found with your Google searches? I'd start with a Google Images search and some pertinent keywords... :smile:

Also, why would a mile run use measurements in meters?

This is close... :smile:

http://track.isport.com/Image.ashx?rs=800x600&dir=Images\\Guide&File=Img_Popup_16258101212011050649.jpg
Image.ashx?rs=800x600&dir=Images%5C%5CGuide&File=Img_Popup_16258101212011050649.jpg

Maybe I am missing the question, or maybe I fully understand it?

This sounds similar to the question - how many grooves on one side of a 78 RPM record? One.
Isn't the answer to your question obvious: 1 mile? No math needed?

NTL2009 said:
Maybe I am missing the question, or maybe I fully understand it?

This sounds similar to the question - how many grooves on one side of a 78 RPM record? One.
Isn't the answer to your question obvious: 1 mile? No math needed?
No, I'm pretty sure s/he is asking about how to lay out the staggered start for a mile running race. They have to stay in their lanes for the first lap or so, I think. After that they all can go to the rail for the rest of the race.

OK, but then I guess I don't understand why it isn't some very basic math and a bit of trig. The straight lanes are all equal, the curved tracks are just a circumference calculation ( 3 turns being 3/4 of the total circumference), then calculate a ratio of the last turn to make the length equal to the inner track calculation.

Oh, OK, sorry - I wasn't following that they go out of their lane. Never was a sports fan! Hah!

Likes berkeman
I would not ask this question if it was simple & I could do it myself !
It works out with 5 horrible equations with 5 unknowns :
Here is more detail posted elsewhere :

"this is a relevant track problem
it's about the curved start for races not 100 or 200 or 400
it's about the curved-line start :

[link]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-63-cvJfRh8I/UTpWShIStFI/AAAAAAAAaMI/202g4mxFhd4/s1600/IAAF_400m_Track.jpg[/link]

or you can find plenty others with better image specs

the question i want answered is :
how far horizontally from finish line is curved mile start line at it's end at end of 8th lane ?

it's 9.344m for guy in lane-1 who is assumed 30cm out from kerb which is 36.5m from origin of curve
but we are interested in end of curved-line of mile start where it hits end-of-lane-8
some useful info :

- each lane is 1.22m ( historically 4' )

- the guy theoretically in end-of-lane 8 of start line is expected to run tangent to 1st bend to hit it at 36.8m from origin

- he therefore, theoretically will coincide with guy in pole in lane-1, who has run 9.344m straight, then continues at somewhere along 36.8m curve from origin until they collide, former having run straight line/tangent, latter having run 9.344 + some part of 36.8 radius, but both have run same distance at collision point !

- the distance from origin to vertical at end of lane-8 is 36.5 + ( 1.22 * 8 ) = 46.26

i have ended up with 5 equations with 5 variables, so it's not easy !
if someone can solve it, i will be very, very impressed !

( in comparison, the horizontal distance from the 2k or 10k start on outer edge to vertical start line is trivial calculation at :
5.11m

check on diagram at max size & use ruler :
it shoud be ~ 5.0 - 5.2m if you can measure closely enough )

the mile start line distance on end of lane-8 to start line is immensely difficult
i have reduced it to 5 equations, with
z
being answer

i've looked for it for days & best i can reduce it to is to solve for
z

the equations are :
y^2 = x^2 + 36.8^2
y^2 = z^2 + 46.26^2
x = 9.344 + ( 36.8*pi * ( a / 180 ) )
x = 36.8 * tan ( a + b )
y = 46.26 / cos ( b )

the required is
z
obviously, solving for any variable will get the rest
however, it is 5 equations with 5 variables & it's ugly with trig functions involved"
I hope this helps !

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have time to input those 5 equations into Maple or Mathematica as I don't think there is any easy way of solving those 5 equations otherwise.

Looking at scale diagram, the answer should be around 5m mark

1. How is the distance between the mile start line and finish line at the end of lane 8 measured?

The distance between the mile start line and finish line at the end of lane 8 is typically measured using a measuring wheel, which is rolled along the track from the start line to the finish line. This provides an accurate measurement in feet or meters.

2. Is the distance between the mile start line and finish line the same for all lanes?

No, the distance between the mile start line and finish line is not the same for all lanes. In a standard 400-meter track, the distance between the start line and finish line is shortest in lane 1 and gradually increases as the lanes progress outward. Lane 8 is typically the longest lane and the distance between the start and finish lines at the end of lane 8 is the furthest from the mile start line.

3. How much longer is the distance between the mile start line and finish line at the end of lane 8 compared to lane 1?

The exact difference in distance between the mile start line and finish line at the end of lane 8 and lane 1 will depend on the specific track and its dimensions. However, on a standard 400-meter track, the distance between the start line and finish line at the end of lane 8 can be up to 10 meters longer than the distance in lane 1.

4. Why is the distance between the mile start line and finish line longer in lane 8?

The distance between the mile start line and finish line is longer in lane 8 due to the shape of the track. In order to make all lanes equal in length, the outer lanes have to be wider and longer than the inner lanes. Lane 8, being the outermost lane, has to accommodate for this difference in width and therefore has a longer distance between the start and finish lines.

5. How does the difference in distance between the mile start line and finish line affect the race?

The difference in distance between the mile start line and finish line can have a small impact on the race, especially in longer distance events. Runners in outer lanes may have to run a slightly longer distance, which can affect their overall time and performance. However, this difference is usually minimal and athletes are typically aware of it and can adjust their strategy accordingly.