How far will an object travel on a flat surface

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the distance a block will travel when sliding on a flat surface, given its initial conditions and friction coefficient. The suggested methods include setting up a free body diagram and using the work-energy theorem to calculate the work done by friction and the resulting distance traveled.
jtura
Hi there,

I am a physics idiot, but I still want to know where my object will end up ;)

Here is what I am trying to do:

I have a block that is sliding on a flat surface. I know the friction coefficient, the mass of the block, its initial position, gravity and initial velocity.

How can I determine the distance the object will travel? I have been reading posts and articles on wikipedia, but I can't seem to get it right.

distance = ?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
jt

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Set up a free body diagram showing the forces acting on the block once it's moving. You'll have its weight and the frictional force opposing motion (which you can find assuming Coulomb friction).

2. Generate an expression that describes how the object will decelerate due to that frictional force if no driving force is acting upon it. Newton's second law will be helpful here.

3. Assuming the frictional force is constant, the object's deceleration will be constant. Use a suitable form of the 1D kinematics equations for constant acceleration to express the distance to decelerate from the initial velocity to rest.

4. Try and figure out where you've made assumptions that will cause your estimate to deviate from what you will see experimentally. There are probably quite a few!

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

jtura said:
I have a block that is sliding on a flat surface. I know the friction coefficient, the mass of the block, its initial position, gravity and initial velocity.

Hi jtura ! Hi RODNEYpaul! Welcome to PF! :smile:

To rephrase RODNEYpaul's advice …

use the work-energy theorem …

work done = energy lost …

so on a horizontal surface, the only work done is friction times distance, and when that equals the original kinetic energy, the block has stopped. :smile:

1. How does the mass of an object affect its distance travelled?

The mass of an object does not affect the distance it will travel on a flat surface. As long as the surface remains the same and there is no external force acting on the object, the distance travelled will be the same regardless of the object's mass.

2. Does the shape of an object affect its distance travelled?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its distance travelled on a flat surface. Objects with a streamlined or aerodynamic shape will experience less air resistance and therefore may travel a longer distance compared to objects with a larger surface area that experience more air resistance.

3. How does the surface of the object and the flat surface it travels on affect its distance travelled?

The surface of the object and the flat surface it travels on do not have a direct effect on the distance travelled. However, if the surface of the object or the flat surface it travels on is not smooth, it can create friction which can slow down the object and result in a shorter distance travelled.

4. Is there a limit to how far an object can travel on a flat surface?

In theory, there is no limit to how far an object can travel on a flat surface as long as there is no external force acting on it. However, in reality, factors such as air resistance, friction, and the limitations of the object's design can affect the distance travelled.

5. How can we calculate the distance an object will travel on a flat surface?

The distance an object will travel on a flat surface can be calculated using the equation d = v * t, where d is the distance, v is the velocity or speed of the object, and t is the time it takes to travel that distance. This equation assumes that the object is travelling at a constant velocity and there are no external forces acting on it.