How far does the object travel horizontally? Two-Dimensional Motion

In summary: Once you have the time, you can use it to find the horizontal distance traveled using the equation x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2at2, where x0 is the initial horizontal position, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity (which you already found to be 400 m/s), and a is the acceleration (which is 0 m/s^2 since there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction). In summary, the bullet will travel 80 m vertically and the horizontal distance traveled can be found using the equation x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2at2, where x0 is the initial horizontal position, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is the time it
eioz

Homework Statement

A rifle bullet is fired from the top of a cliff at an angle of 30° below the horizontal. The initial velocity of the bullet is 800 m/s. If the cliff is 80 m, high, how far does it travel horizontally?

θ = 30°
v0 = 800 m/s
y = 80 m

Homework Equations

I may be totally off here with these equations (I'm part of an independent study program and their physics curriculum doesn't even have an online teacher, so I've been flying blind since day one), but I think these are relevant:

vy = Vsinθ
|v| = √vx2 + vy2

The Attempt at a Solution

vy = 800sin30 = 400

800 - 400 = 400 = vx

I then thought I could go from there to solve for x using x = x0 + v0xt + 1/2at2, but I don't have anything for t, so I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
With 800 - 400 = 400 = vx you got the right answer, but only accidentally. To get the correct answer the correct way, you must use the second equation you listed in the relevant eq-s section.

Before you you compute the horizontal distance, ask yourself how far the bullet will travel vertically. And how long that will take.

I actually was using the equation I listed in the relevant eq-s section, but I do see how that isn't entirely clear.

I unfortunately really do not know where to go from where I'm at. The bullet will travel 80 m vertically, yes? But I don't understand how to use any of that to help me get time.

Could I use y = y0 + v0t to find out time, or does that not work here?

Last edited:
eioz said:
The bullet will travel 80 m vertically, yes? But I don't understand how to use any of that to help me get time.

The distance of vertical travel depends on the initial vertical velocity, acceleration and time. You know all of these except the time, so you should be able to find it.

To find the horizontal distance traveled, we can use the equation x = v0x * t, where v0x is the initial velocity in the x-direction and t is the time. In this case, the initial velocity in the x-direction is 800*cos30°, which is approximately 692.82 m/s. To find the time, we can use the equation y = y0 + v0yt - 1/2gt^2, where y0 is the initial height, v0y is the initial velocity in the y-direction (which we can calculate using v0y = v0*sin30°), and g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. Plugging in the values, we get 80 = 0 + 400t - 4.9t^2. Solving for t, we get t ≈ 0.318 seconds. Plugging this back into the first equation, we get x = 692.82 * 0.318 = 220.31 meters. Therefore, the bullet travels approximately 220.31 meters horizontally before hitting the ground.

1. How do you calculate the horizontal distance traveled by an object?

The horizontal distance traveled by an object can be calculated using the formula: d = v0x * t, where d is the distance, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is the time.

2. How does air resistance affect the horizontal distance traveled by an object?

In most cases, air resistance has a negligible effect on the horizontal distance traveled by an object. This is because air resistance primarily affects the vertical motion of an object, not its horizontal motion.

3. Can an object travel an infinite distance horizontally?

No, an object cannot travel an infinite distance horizontally. This is because there are physical limitations such as air resistance, friction, and the curvature of the earth that will eventually slow down and stop the object's motion.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the horizontal distance traveled by an object?

The angle of launch can greatly affect the horizontal distance traveled by an object. The ideal angle for maximum horizontal distance is 45 degrees. Any angle less than 45 degrees will result in a shorter horizontal distance, while angles greater than 45 degrees will result in a shorter vertical distance and therefore a shorter horizontal distance.

5. Is the horizontal distance traveled by an object affected by gravity?

Yes, the horizontal distance traveled by an object is affected by gravity. However, the effect of gravity on the horizontal distance is minimal as gravity only affects the vertical motion of an object. This means that as long as the object is moving at a constant horizontal velocity, the effect of gravity on its horizontal distance will be negligible.