How good is the book "Mechanics by Florian Sheck"?

• Thread starter Gopal Mailpalli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Mechanics: From Newton's Laws to Deterministic Chaos" and mentions that the 5th edition is the latest edition. The speaker also shares their opinion that the book is dry to read. They ask for a review of the book and welcome suggestions for alternatives.
Physics news on Phys.org
Not an answer to your question but the 5th edition is the latest edition (the one you listed is the third edition)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642053696/?tag=pfamazon01-20

By the way - what do you mean by 'how good'? I find the book to be an extremely dry book to read but that could be just me.

Last edited by a moderator:
smodak said:
Not an answer to your question but the 5th edition is the latest edition (the one you listed is the third edition)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642053696/?tag=pfamazon01-20

By the way - what do you mean by 'how good'? I find the book to be an extremely dry book to read but that could be just me.

I want a review of the book, any edition. Any suggestion for alternative is appreciated.

Last edited:

What is the level of difficulty of "Mechanics" by Florian Scheck?

The book "Mechanics" by Florian Scheck is designed for advanced undergraduate or graduate students, so it may be considered challenging for those with no prior knowledge of the subject.

How comprehensive is the book "Mechanics" by Florian Scheck?

The book covers all the essential topics in classical mechanics, including Newton's laws, conservation laws, oscillations, and rigid body dynamics. However, some advanced topics may not be included.

Is "Mechanics" by Florian Scheck suitable for self-study?

Yes, the book can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a basic knowledge of calculus and linear algebra before starting.

Does "Mechanics" by Florian Scheck include examples and exercises?

Yes, the book includes numerous examples and exercises, which are essential for understanding the concepts and applying them to problem-solving.

Is "Mechanics" by Florian Scheck a good reference book for researchers?

The book is primarily designed for students, but it can also be a useful reference for researchers in the field of classical mechanics.