How important is light in the Observer Effect?

In summary, the "Observer Effect" in the Double-slit experiment is achieved using light as the means of measuring in the detector. This results in a clump pattern rather than an interference pattern. There are claims that this occurs, but no visual evidence. Other measuring sources besides light may be used, but light is the most commonly used. There is a common misconception that human consciousness is the cause for wave collapse, and light does not travel as photons.
Dennis Z
How much importance does light (electromagnetism) have to do with the "Observer Effect" in the Double-slit experiment?
From my research, it seems that the only successful "Observer Effects" in the Double-slit experiments, wherein, the interference pattern transitions to a clump pattern, is achieved using light as the means of measuring in the detector. When I say clump pattern, I am not talking about a single-slit diffraction pattern. I am referring to where photons or electrons would appear in only 2 patterns aligned with the 2-slits, much like what you would expect if you were shooting bullets through a barrier with only slits and would get a pattern of bullets hitting the end wall in two clumps... some going through one slit and some going through the other slit.
Although I can't find a video actually showing the observer effect collapsing waves to a clump pattern, there are many claims that it occurs. If you know of any videos, I would greatly appreciate it. (Please don't tell me to look on Youtube, I don't want an animated video, or Brian Greene explaining it...I'd like to see visual evidence if it is out there)
Is my research correct, or are there other measuring sources used other than light?
It seems that light hitting a photon or electron passing through a slit would cause them to alter their course with the end result being neither an interference pattern, nor a clump pattern, but a scattered array.
Why is it that light used as the detector allows the measured photons or electrons to not only transition from an interference pattern, but maintain a consistent clump pattern?
Light is extremely fascinating with how it interacts with electrons with quantum electrodynamics. Electromagnetism keeps electrons in their orbits, and helps hold molecules together. I just wonder if light is much more important in the process of collapsing waves to particles than anyone discusses. All I hear is "human consciousness" is the cause for wave collapse.
Thanks for your feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer all your questions but here is some information:

Dennis Z said:
It seems that light hitting a photon or electron passing through a slit would cause them to alter their course with the end result being neither an interference pattern, nor a clump pattern, but a scattered array.
Light can't hit a photon since light doesn't travel as photons; they are the result of an EM wave interacting with other particles such as electrons.

All I hear is "human consciousness" is the cause for wave collapse.
Which of course is pure pop-sci nonsense.

EDIT: also, you would likely find it interesting to Google "polarization and the double slit experiment" or just do a forum search for that.

Your post contains many very common misconceptions.

As a start to correcting them see the following:
https://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0703/0703126.pdf

Once you understand the above we can have a good chat about exactly what is going on in the double slit.

Thanks
Bill

1. How does light affect the Observer Effect?

Light plays a crucial role in the Observer Effect. The act of observing an object or phenomenon changes its behavior, and light is the medium through which we observe things. The type and amount of light present can alter the way an object appears or behaves, therefore impacting the Observer Effect.

2. Is light necessary for the Observer Effect to occur?

Yes, light is necessary for the Observer Effect to occur. Without light, it would be impossible for us to observe and interact with our surroundings, and therefore, we would not be able to impact or change the behavior of objects through observation.

3. Can different types of light have varying effects on the Observer Effect?

Yes, different types of light can have varying effects on the Observer Effect. For example, the color of light can influence how an object is perceived and can even change its properties. Additionally, the intensity and direction of light can also impact the Observer Effect.

4. How does the amount of light affect the Observer Effect?

The amount of light present can greatly affect the Observer Effect. The more light there is, the more information we can gather about an object, which can lead to a more accurate observation and potentially a greater impact on the behavior of the object. On the other hand, low light levels can make it difficult to observe and interact with an object, potentially resulting in a weaker Observer Effect.

5. Can light itself be affected by the Observer Effect?

Yes, light itself can be affected by the Observer Effect. The very act of observing light can alter its behavior, such as the famous double-slit experiment where observing light changed its particle-wave duality. Additionally, the type and amount of light present can also be influenced by the observer's perspective and expectations, further demonstrating the impact of the Observer Effect on light.