How is a plate with a hole in it sealed

In summary: There is a risk of overpressurization, but I'm not sure how you would go about checking that.Time for some calculations. 30 X 40 cm = 11.81" X 15.75", so the area is 186 square inches. One atm = 14.7 PSI, so 1.5 atm = 22.05 PSI. Area times pressure = 186 X 22.05 = 4,100 lbs force. Flat sheets of aluminum or polycarbonate that's 2 or 3 mm thick will stretch out of shape and spring a leak if you are lucky. Plexiglas, on the other hand, likes to shatter exactly like window glass -
Jarfi
Say I have a simple 2 or 3mm thick sheet of plexiglass or aluminum, and I have a closed chamber box out of these sheets.

Now, I want to build a pressure inside the chamber, but the prototype only has a simple O shaped "hole" on the box. I can choose the diameter of the hole, and I have a rubber tube or plastic pipe entering the box, but there needs to be a O-ring type of sealing.

How would I go around doing this in the most simple way, in what way are pipes/tubes generally connected to holes in tanks so that a seal is created.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How much pressure and how big of a box? This is potentially dangerous.

russ_watters said:
How much pressure and how big of a box? This is potentially dangerous.
30x40cm. I think I may have to go for a full on flange with screw holes, it's mostly the guys I work with rushing too fast and being ignorant on how a seal works. So they just want to build a box with "holes"

Jarfi said:
30x40cm. I think I may have to go for a full on flange with screw holes, it's mostly the guys I work with rushing too fast and being ignorant on how a seal works. So they just want to build a box with "holes"
You didn't say how much pressure. Is it positive or negative pressure with respect to the atmosphere? How are you planning on welding/joining the sides of the box? What experience do you and your team have with pressure vessels?

berkeman said:
You didn't say how much pressure. Is it positive or negative pressure with respect to the atmosphere? How are you planning on welding/joining the sides of the box? What experience do you and your team have with pressure vessels?
Them? zero. The box will be made air sealed I am sure, but they are biologists.

It's little pressure, maximum 1.5 atm positive off the top of my head

Jarfi said:
Them? zero. The box will be made air sealed I am sure, but they are biologists.
Well it's a lot harder to "seal" a plastic box than it is to seal a metal box. That's why pressure vessels are usually made out of metal.
Jarfi said:
Now, I want to build a pressure inside the chamber, but the prototype only has a simple O shaped "hole" on the box. I can choose the diameter of the hole, and I have a rubber tube or plastic pipe entering the box, but there needs to be a O-ring type of sealing.
Is the hole for the tubing that pressurizes the vessel? Or is the pressurization done separately, and the hole is for withdrawing samples or something?

berkeman said:
Well it's a lot harder to "seal" a plastic box than it is to seal a metal box. That's why pressure vessels are usually made out of metal.

Is the hole for the tubing that pressurizes the vessel? Or is the pressurization done separately, and the hole is for withdrawing samples or something?
Both. Hole for pressure tube and hole for pressure sensor, it's a feedback system

Jarfi said:
Both. Hole for pressure tube and hole for pressure sensor, it's a feedback system
Something like these?

https://www.ceramtec.com/_img/content/produkt.us.druckdurchfuehrungen.1.jpg
produkt.us.druckdurchfuehrungen.1.jpg

Attachments

• produkt.us.druckdurchfuehrungen.1.jpg
    produkt.us.druckdurchfuehrungen.1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 598
Likes Asymptotic and russ_watters
Jarfi said:
It's little pressure, maximum 1.5 atm positive off the top of my head
Absolute or gauge? How is it generated? Is there any risk of overpressurization?

Time for some calculations. 30 X 40 cm = 11.81" X 15.75", so the area is 186 square inches. One atm = 14.7 PSI, so 1.5 atm = 22.05 PSI. Area times pressure = 186 X 22.05 = 4,100 lbs force. Flat sheets of aluminum or polycarbonate that's 2 or 3 mm thick will stretch out of shape and spring a leak if you are lucky. Plexiglas, on the other hand, likes to shatter exactly like window glass - into many razor sharp pieces. This much pressure in a box of this size is a bomb.

Back when I was about 12 or 13, I soldered two tin cans together, soldered in a piece of copper tubing, then hooked it up to an air compressor. I was at least smart enough to put the can in a garbage can, cover the garbage can with 2 X 6's, then put an anvil on top of that. I did not have a pressure gauge, but estimated the peak pressure at about 40 PSI based on displacement and running time. The explosion bounced the anvil, and was loud enough that my mother, on the second floor, thought that she had a dead kid in the basement. My second try was with a gallon can. That did not work at all - the can stretched out of shape until it sprung leaks at the corners.

Likes BvU, lekh2003, Asymptotic and 2 others
150 kPa * 30 cm * 40 cm * 30 cm (the last one is a guess) is 5400 J, a bit more than the energy contained in 1 gram of TNT.
30 cm * 40 cm * 2mm = 240 cm3, with plastic that gives a mass of about 200 grams, that means we can accelerate such a plate to about 200 m/s. The actual speed will be lower, but I wouldn't expect it to be safe.

Likes BvU and Asymptotic
mfb said:
150 kPa * 30 cm * 40 cm * 30 cm (the last one is a guess) is 5400 J, a bit more than the energy contained in 1 gram of TNT.
30 cm * 40 cm * 2mm = 240 cm3, with plastic that gives a mass of about 200 grams, that means we can accelerate such a plate to about 200 m/s. The actual speed will be lower, but I wouldn't expect it to be safe.
Well,

I think I misexplained.
We are talking about 1.5atm inside and 1atm outside, so the total pressure balance is 0.5 atm, but from my understanding they will need much lower over pressure, perhaps 0.1 atm.

I agree though, plexiglass is a weak choice of material, I think I have to talk to them further and make them think it through a bit before wasting money on a useless prototype.

Also, I've decided to just build a full on flange type of sealing with 5 m3 screws and an O ring, around a fitting module which is connected to a tube, perhaps with a metal hose clamp.

It's mainly an issue of campatibility, they want to use it with some older equipment with specialized medical hoses/sensors which need to be fitted, quite a sorry job for the engineer.

Do you need to be able to see into the enclosure? If so, the metal enclosure with a small window is probably a better choice compared to transparent Lexan. But it sounds like you already know that. :smile:

Jarfi said:
I think I have to talk to them further and make them think it through a bit before wasting money on a useless prototype
It certainly sounds necessary.
Laying down the exact requirements will save everyone grief.
You wouldn't want to present to them a box, and then have then inquire "So how do we open it and our put stuff inside?"
Ship in a bottle.

Biology and such... Are you (they) sure this thing should be airtight? Or just it should be able to hold some kind of special atmosphere at a small overpressure?

Likes berkeman
What is in the box?
Can you have “through bolts” passing through the box to hold flat walls together?

Or can you use a cylindrical clear tube with heavy square flat metal ends pulled together by four external rods, like a pneumatic cylinder.

1. How does a plate with a hole in it get sealed?

There are a few different ways to seal a plate with a hole in it, depending on the size and location of the hole. One method is to use a sealant, such as epoxy or silicone, to fill in the hole and create a watertight seal. Another option is to cover the hole with a patch or piece of tape that is strong enough to withstand the pressure of the contents inside the plate.

2. What types of plates can be sealed with a hole in it?

Any type of plate can be sealed with a hole in it, as long as the hole is not too large or in a critical location that would compromise the structural integrity of the plate. This includes ceramic plates, metal plates, plastic plates, and more.

3. Is it possible to seal a plate with a hole in it permanently?

Yes, it is possible to seal a plate with a hole in it permanently. This can be done by using a strong and durable sealant, such as a metal epoxy or a specialized plate repair kit, to create a long-lasting seal. However, it is important to note that the seal may not last forever and may need to be replaced or repaired over time.

4. Can a plate with a hole in it be used for food or liquids after it is sealed?

It depends on the method used to seal the plate and the location of the hole. If a food-safe and waterproof sealant is used and the hole is not located in a critical area, then the plate should be safe to use for food or liquids. However, it is always important to check the seal and the hole before using the plate to ensure it is still secure and safe.

5. How long does it take to seal a plate with a hole in it?

The time it takes to seal a plate with a hole in it will vary depending on the size and location of the hole, as well as the method used to seal it. For example, using a sealant may take only a few minutes to apply, while using a patch or tape may take longer. It is important to follow the instructions for the specific sealant or method being used to ensure an effective seal.