1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is acceleration possible if there is an everpresent equal+opp force?

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    In the situation where a horse pulls a wagon, how is it possible for the horse to accelerate if the wagon is exerting an equal and opposite force? Wouldn't the forces cancel each other out?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Acceleration is occurs when part or all of the equal and opposing force is a reaction to that acceleration.

4. Jan 3, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equal and opposite forces act on different objects. The net force on the wagon is the force of the horse on the wagon less some small friction force on the wagon's wheels, so it accelerates. The net force on the horse is the large friction force between the horses feet and the ground driving it forward, less the smaller force of the wagon on the horse calculated above, so the horse also accelerates forward at the same forward acceleration of the wagon .

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4
    Remember as PhantomJay pointed out, its the net force that produces the acceleration. Both of which are proportional to one another. If the force of the horse acting on the wagon was equal an opposite to the frictional force acting on the wagons wheels then there is no net force, hence no acceleration.

6. Jan 4, 2012 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Nice post, Bugattti.
    By the bye... I love your cowl. :biggrin:

7. Jan 4, 2012 #6
    eh...my what? :confused: :smile:

8. Jan 4, 2012 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, Pal... I thought that it was self-evident. I love the old Bugatti's, and one of their signature features was a honkin' long cowl (hood) with the flex-pipe headers sticking out.

9. Jan 4, 2012 #8
    Danger - I knew a fellow long ago that sold a Bugatti Kit for the handyman. Also, I apologize for the off topic comment - it won't happen again

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook