1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math How is applied math research done

1. May 27, 2009 #1
    I was curious how research in applied math is done, the reason I'm curious is because I can't seem to believe that research is started with a question...like "what temperature will a cell freeze without killing the cell" for example. All I've ever seen is math modeling of a phenomenon. thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2009 #2

Hepth

Gold Member

It seems like it would pretty much be along those lines. If you're looking for funding you would attempt to come up with an original idea that could benefit someone/some company/Govt.
    But remember a lot of the "easier" stuff will be done by people directly in those fields. You'd be surprised at how often mathematical modeling is used by Physicists/Biologists/Geologists/ALL SCIENTISTS with/without the aid of an Applied Mathematician.

Check out UofMichigans applied math page:
    http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/aim-grad/faculty.html [Broken]

They pair advisors (one math, one something else) for every PhD student.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook