How Does Change Occur in the Universe?

• Thread starter Willowz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of change and its relation to the existence of "something" rather than "nothing." It delves into the idea that change is relative to the observer and the ultimate question of what change really is. The conversation also touches on the interconnectedness of opposites, such as stasis and flux, and how they can coexist. The concept of context is also mentioned as being important in understanding change and its effects. Ultimately, the conversation raises questions about the nature of change and its role in existence.
apeiron said:
You were the one asking the question of how change is possible. Which means you must be presuming that no change is somehow more natural.
No, I haven't made that presumption. Not to my knowledge.

Physics news on Phys.org
wuliheron said:
What mathematics? What equations? What flows?
This is getting absurd.

Willowz said:
No, I haven't made that presumption. Not to my knowledge.

You said you were concerned about the concept of change. You asked how it was possible. So I am asking you why you might think things could be otherwise. If change was in fact not possible, there would only be stasis.

So - deep breath - what motivates your concern over the concept of change here? Why do you think it an issue? What are you assuming that makes it an issue?

Aristotle called it the uncaused cause. Something that got 'motion' started. Maybe I should rephrase the question. Why do things change? Is it because of time, QM, xyz? Why is there something rather than nothing?

Another aspect of this thread is that "ultimate" questions are pointless. They are too generalised and too broad to give any satisfiable answer.

Willowz said:
IN https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=525749" thread a question was asked.

“Why is there Something rather than Nothing”

For there something to come out from nothing - or whatever the case may be - is required the concept of change.

You may have heard in philosophy, panta rei or 'You can't step into the same river twice.".

So, how is change possible? And, if this isn't the ultimate question, then what is?

Everything flows and nothing stays.
Everything flows and nothing abides.
Everything gives way and nothing stays fixed.
Everything flows; nothing remains.
All is flux, nothing is stationary.
All is flux, nothing stays still.
All flows, nothing stays.

From that view nothing exists except by our perception or belief. Like we call it a chair but look closer and it's all waves of energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the answer to these kind of questions about change, time, the existence of something or not, boil down to the ultimate question: what is consciousness? If this will not get an answer these questions won't neither.

Is this thread in any way motivated by the impossibility in the block universe of SR to determine how and why change happens?

Aidyan said:
I think the answer to these kind of questions about change, time, the existence of something or not, boil down to the ultimate question: what is consciousness? If this will not get an answer these questions won't neither.

You say this because you know what matter is? Or what time is?

I'd say a deep understanding of consciousness requires a deep understanding of matter and time, which does not currently exist(except in the minds of a few brain-washed scientists who push hard their fringe theories)

Last edited:
Maui said:
Is this thread in any way motivated by the impossibility in the block universe of SR to determine how and why change happens?
I think the question can be directed at any eternalistic fashioned universe.

Back